(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

6-Cup or 10-Cup?

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates 6-Cup or 10-Cup?

This topic contains 55 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  random_guy1 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

William Gaines
    Keymaster

That’s one of the questions we are debating. The main argument for 10-cup is that it is obviously more cups. More cups means that a bad team on a hot streak has to carry that streak that much longer for an upset, while a great team on a bad streak can possibly recover from a few bad shots to beat an inferior team.

The main argument against 10-cup is that it does take more time for the games. When we are running so many games in just three days (and need to find a clear winner by the end for the $20,000), if we opt for 10-cup, it is possible that we might have to cut off some games if they exceed 20 minutes by too much, which we would hate to do.

Got thoughts? Let’s hear ‘em.

–Billy

travis14

10 cup may take a bit longer but i dont think the games are going to go any where near 20 minutes and if it does go that far then your right cut that game off. but i dont have a problem with six cups either

boltfan4sho

I like the idea of doing 10 cup at WSOBP. If it takes you twenty minutes to finish a game you should be kicked out of the tournament. There is no reason for a 20 minute game when there isn’t any overtime.

jojo

Yeah, if you take 20 minutes to win a game, then you suck and you shouldn’t have wasted your money.

I like 10, with a set time limit, but I wouldn’t mind 6 for the first two days, as long as the Semi’s, Quarter’s, and the Final remain 10.

mlayth

You’ve already set different rules for the preliminary with the no Rebuttals, why not just do the same thing with 6 cup.

This is supposed to be the defining beer pong tournament of the world right? You have to do what you can to eliminate the luck factor, and cater to skill.

You don’t want the ‘world champions" to go represent themselves somewhere else and suck. It looks bad for all of us. More cups increases the level of skill required to win. I say go for it if time permits, and it should do that if you use 6 cups on the first day or two.

William Gaines
    Keymaster

Nobody has a right to set the standards for beer pong – not even us. It’s true that a ton of people and bars copy our rules and that if the game does start to have "standards," such standards may develop as a result of our event and/or site. Nonetheless, beer pong is a game that everybody plays, and we are just people that love the game, no different than any other beer pong player. We think we know what rules are best, but we want input from everybody so that the rules represent the view of all beer pong players – not us forcing our views/rules on the beer pong community.

Also, you did suggest something we are considering: 6-cup in prelims and 10-cup in finals.

gaw2069

Hey again guys…… Ive actually only played 10 cup no more than 10 times in my 8 yrs of playin pong….. its always been 6…… but I have to rememeber that Ill be spending close to $1000 for playin pong…… and considering that last yr at wsopg 1, except for one game…. every loss that I had was down to 1 cup each….. so Im actually totally all for 10 cups. As for time problems…… i agree with everyone so far….. 10 minutes is actually already embarrassing….. so 20 minutes shouldnt ever even come close to being an issue.

greg

William Gaines
    Keymaster

Don’t worry about timing issues. That’s for us to decide. We are in the lab running tests (i.e., playing pong to figure out how long different variations run). I just wanted to let you guys know why we may not go 10-cup. Of course, if there are other arguments besides time for going with 6-cup, I want to know.

gaw2069

I forgot to actually give my thoughts on why i think 10 cup even in the prelims is maybe better than 6 cup. In my last posting… I just said how even with 10 cup 100% of games…. i didnt think time would ever be an issue. But i didnt talk about why 10 cup was my preference. Since i really doubt 20 minutes, even with 10 cups, would ever happen…. I just feel that when playing with 6…. the factor of luck over skill happens too often (even to myself personally) of course as with Texas Holdem poker…. luck is there… but skills should always prevail, in my opinion at least. Im totally just giving my professional opinion…. but of course im sure billy/duncan have much more to consider when makin the rules.
    And 1 last thing to anyone who reads this…… I still cant FUCKING believe that 2 kids named BILLY and DUNCAN had the balls to make BeerPong mean sumthing for all us Alcoholics. thanks guys

greg

skinny

billy and dunc

although i was initially against going 10-cup, i think i’ve changed my mind. I would agree with everyone that 20 minutes should be no problem for any team (although keep in mind that the games need to be a bit less than 20 minutes for changeover). I’m thinking that we should make all rounds 10-cup.

skinny

mlayth

Just trying to give my opinions.. I think anyone (like myself) that is flying to the other side of the country for a tournament would rather have the game cater to skill and eliminate as much luck as possible.

Don’t want to lose out of a tournament to a horrible team on a streak.

William Gaines
    Keymaster

Just trying to give my opinions.. I think anyone (like myself) that is flying to the other side of the country for a tournament would rather have the game cater to skill and eliminate as much luck as possible.

Don’t want to lose out of a tournament to a horrible team on a streak.

That’s basically my thinking. Beer pong is all about having fun, BUT when we’re putting so much money on the line, it only seems fair that the better team win, to the extent we can control it. Furthermore, it’s not like creating the rules to cater to skill will take the fun out of the game.

mlayth

Yeah, exactly.

Honestly when it comes down to it the only rule that REALLY matters is how far away the cups are going to be from your arm.

Whatever else you do, it’s all about how well you can toss a ball. :lol:
    I suck ass when theres an elbow rule :wink:

travis14

my opinion is there is that it should defintly be 10 cups instead of 6 with no rollbacks it will make it more exciting then just 6 cups and i dont think its going to take alot more time then just 6 cups

saltythekid

Im going w/ majority and voting for 10 cup. 6 could be over quick w/ bouncing being legit w/ no swatting. 10 will show some skill.

Good luck fellas and fella-ettes, hope to see everyone there.

- Saltz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Free Domestic Shipping on Orders of $50 or More in the US.

Facebook