(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

6-Cup or 10-Cup?

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates 6-Cup or 10-Cup?

This topic contains 55 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  random_guy1 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

earnestiii

The best way to play is 10 cup, but if you play 2 reracks at anytime, and 2 cups in a row gets the ball back, then that will make the games stay under 20 minutes.

dr. ironrute

I’m all for 10 cups a game. I don’t think that we ran into a major issue with time based on last year (although Billy and Duncan would know more than I would about that). While it would require more time and more beer, I think anything you can do to extend the game cuts down on better teams losing to worse ones. Yes, I know this point has been beaten to death, but it bears repeating. My buddies and I here play 12 cup games, and it’s much harder to upset someone who’s better than you.

Whatever rules you guys manage will be good I’m sure, but if it’s possible to swing it with 10, I think it’ll make for better games.

greindaddy

Does no one out there play double diamond twelve cup?

travis14

hey man i think people play that but if they think 10 cup is going to be time consuming i think its hard for them to think about 12 cup.. but i have played a few times but in my opinion i like 10 cup and 6 cup better

William Gaines
    Keymaster

Does no one out there play double diamond twelve cup?

That’s how I actually learned the game. We then went to six cup after a year or so because so many people wanted to play, going to six cups made the game go faster when the parties were packed.

But then there’s this. You guys wouldn’t believe who I talked to today. I won’t say much until I get more details, but I talked to a guy that legitimately felt he was one of the first players of the game as we know it (he’s not saying he invented it – just that he was around when he first saw it surface, along with supporting details suggesting that he very well may have been at the epicenter of beer pong’s birth) – very cool. So how does this relate? They used to play with 51, 9-oz cups, which they placed on the table and called "silos." Once i get some more interviews in and whatnot, we’ll put up a history page.

motagagne

In Los Angeles we play 10-cup for a 2 on 2 game and 6-cup for a 1 on 1 game. So of course my opinion is that the tournament should be 10-cup since it is 2 on 2.

zdavis87

In Los Angeles we play 10-cup for a 2 on 2 game and 6-cup for a 1 on 1 game. So of course my opinion is that the tournament should be 10-cup since it is 2 on 2.

I concur.

Billy & Duncan,
    First let me say I appreciate what you two have done for the game we all love. I was at the WSOBP I and even though we didnt do as well as we should have I had a blast and it was a very smooth operation for being the first time. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the a lucky team can go on a run and win in 6 cup, but a more skilled team has the chance to rebound in a 10 cup game. I am all for 10 cup all the way even in the prelims. Judging by this poll are most of the other players. Luck should not be the deciding factor in who claims the best title in all of sports

emocheese16

I was just wondering a few specific things about the tournament. Do the rules indicate that my partner and I alternate cups that we have to drink?–because he can handle much more alcohol than I can. Basically, is it ok if he drinks some of mine too, as long as it gets drunk by our team?

Also, with variating turns, would the rules allow me to take two consecutive shots and then my partner to take our two shots next turn?

Oh, and under your "Rules" section, 10-cup is defined as using only one ball. For WSOBP it’s two balls per turn, right?

will i am

im glad the WSOBP II is considering this change, i will be much more confident that i am spending my money’s worth, and also, more confident that a bad team on a streak won’t take my dream away.

wlmpenn13

Hopefully this comes out coherrently, I’m pretty drunk after a long ass night of pong. (I also, played some Madden ’07 for 360, the graphics are insane, but they added some stupid features that get annoying really quick, and Madden doesn’t even do the commentary)….wow, tangent…anyways…..

I have to go against the majority, and say that 10 cups is a bad idea.

I’m from L.A. area and have played at several schools (Oxy, La Verne, Whittier, UCLA, USC, etc.) it’s 6 cups, not 10 for the most part (but when we play with 10 cups its only 1 ball).

I also think it would only make sense that 6 cups actually caters to skill, not 10 cups. Most of us could probably make it into a cup Vince Vaughn "sudden death dodgeball" style blindfolded if there were 10 of em on the opposite end as opposed to 6. And with bouncing allowed (which I’ll address later), it will be even easier to get it into 10 cups.

It seems like everyone is scared to lose and needs the cushion of 10 cups to get back in the game if they’re in a bad streak losing to a "less-skilled" team. Seems to me like you might need to rethink how "skilled" you and your partner are if you didn’t make the 6 cups and the other team did. And I understand bad streaks happen, I’ve gone through them, and I know all of you have. But this is the WSOBP, and your game needs to be on point come January. They don’t give baseball teams a game 8, 9, or 10 because they hit a bad losing streak in the World Series. All of us have the same opportunity to practice between now and the New Year, so that we can all bring our "A" game, have an exciting and competitive tournament, meet some new people, make friends across the country, all the whule getting absolutely drunk, because nothing brings us together like the wonderful substance that is alcohol.

Now for some other concerns….

I’m absolutely fine with the let it ride rule, however BOUNCING SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

Just like an onside kick, it has a risk which could benefit you or hurt you. You recover the ball with another chance to go down field and score, or you put the other team automatically into field goal range on their first down.

If you bounce, the advantage is you get two cups if you make it, the drawback is the opposing team could swat it away. So either outlaw bouncing, or you can bounce but it can be swat, it’s only fair.

Another thing I would like clarification on is the "No rollbacks."

By "rollbacks" do you mean no "send it back." Ex: My partner and I each make a cup, we get the balls back with another chance to shoot.

I know "rollbacks" as when you shoot and it hits the front cup per se, and the ball rolls back to your side of the table you can shoot it again from behind your back, but it must be in one swift motion.

Let me know what you all think, I’m welcome to other opinions and criticisms.

Cheers! 8)

mlayth

I’m not associated with the WSOBP, but here’s what I know from posting here:

rollbacks is referring to each person on your team making a cup and getting balls back

bouncing only counts as 1 cup, not 2

facts aside now, we are on to opinion.
    I disagree with you about the 6 cup thing being more skilled.

You may think anyone can make the 10 cups, but that means good people can too.
    I think it’s self evident that the more points to make a game out of the more skill comes into play.

There is more skill in a 4/7 than there is in a 2/3, and less chance for luck.
    The same is true with 10 cups instead of 6.

No one shoots their best all the time, but even if your cold streak only lasts for 3 shots that could kill you in a 6 cup game.

boltfan4sho

So when do we find out if it will be 10 cup….im hopin they switch to 10

William Gaines
    Keymaster

I have to go against the majority, and say that 10 cups is a bad idea.

. . .

I also think it would only make sense that 6 cups actually caters to skill, not 10 cups. Most of us could probably make it into a cup Vince Vaughn "sudden death dodgeball" style blindfolded if there were 10 of em on the opposite end as opposed to 6. And with bouncing allowed (which I’ll address later), it will be even easier to get it into 10 cups.

It seems like everyone is scared to lose and needs the cushion of 10 cups to get back in the game if they’re in a bad streak losing to a "less-skilled" team. Seems to me like you might need to rethink how "skilled" you and your partner are if you didn’t make the 6 cups and the other team did. And I understand bad streaks happen, I’ve gone through them, and I know all of you have. But this is the WSOBP, and your game needs to be on point come January. They don’t give baseball teams a game 8, 9, or 10 because they hit a bad losing streak in the World Series. All of us have the same opportunity to practice between now and the New Year, so that we can all bring our "A" game, have an exciting and competitive tournament, meet some new people, make friends across the country, all the whule getting absolutely drunk, because nothing brings us together like the wonderful substance that is alcohol.

Now for some other concerns….

I’m absolutely fine with the let it ride rule, however BOUNCING SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

Just like an onside kick, it has a risk which could benefit you or hurt you. You recover the ball with another chance to go down field and score, or you put the other team automatically into field goal range on their first down.

If you bounce, the advantage is you get two cups if you make it, the drawback is the opposing team could swat it away. So either outlaw bouncing, or you can bounce but it can be swat, it’s only fair.

Another thing I would like clarification on is the "No rollbacks."

By "rollbacks" do you mean no "send it back." Ex: My partner and I each make a cup, we get the balls back with another chance to shoot.

I know "rollbacks" as when you shoot and it hits the front cup per se, and the ball rolls back to your side of the table you can shoot it again from behind your back, but it must be in one swift motion.

Let me know what you all think, I’m welcome to other opinions and criticisms.

Cheers! 8)

Man, where do I start? It is only fair that since you were allegedly wasted when posting this that I be somewhat under the influence as well when responding to your post . . . Done!

First, your argument that 6-cup is better because anybody can hit 10 cups – not quite. It is true that 10 cups are probably easier to hit, but they are not a given. As one example, we were playing 21-cup games (of course, it had to be best of three) on a six-foot table. The first THREE shots were missed (they bounced off rims). Also note that 10-cup eventually turns into a 6-cup game (hit four cups and magic … six cups remain). Therefore, if 10-cups are a piece of cake to hit, fine – we’re now at a 10-cup game. Some people, however, will get careless or just fuck up –> 10-cups is not a given and can affect the outcome of games.

Second, the baseball comment – sure, they only have a finite number of games and don’t give more games if a team hits a bad streak. Likewise, we are also proposing a finite number of games: 10. We aren’t suggesting that if a team hits a bad streak, we go to 15-cup.

Third (and I think finally), your bouncing arguments – uh, no? We are only allowing bounces to count as one cup, not two. I’m not quite sure where your football analogy was going, and frankly, I’m too lazy to scroll back up to reread it (beer must be drank tonight …), but I don’t think it really applies. The reason we allow bouncing is because some people do bounce. If that’s how you play, why not let it count? Furthermore, let’s say a ball does take a crazy/lucky bounce. It’s like basketball (a sports analogy, huh?) – if a guy shoots and inadvertently banks it in, it counts.

Ok, got to go, sorry it was cut short – beer is calling my name.

medicinal

i know there’s a lot of work going into setting this whole thing up..but just wondering if there was a certain date the rules would be finalized so people can start praticing the way the tournament will be held?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Free Domestic Shipping on Orders of $50 or More in the US.

Facebook