(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Back to falling cups

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nakazato 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

nakazato

Are you allowed to play backboard and put some fingers up to proetect a cup form tipping if u see that a player on the other team has a hard shot?

Or is it just ‘Let it ride’ including the cups?

We usually play that if u keep the cup fomr spilling it doesnt count… but if ‘"et it ride" includes not protecting cups from falling, or if it falls it counts anyway… then i guess it wouldnt matter.. so input pls.

Sorry Billy, we got a few questions brewing, <3 ya

-E

William Gaines
    Keymaster

I guess we never really thought about touching cups, so here are my initial thoughts.

If touching the cups interferes with the shot in any way, you can’t. If it’s simply to save a beer, why not?

If anybody has any other thoughts, let’s hear ‘em. Also, as I previously stated, my observations have suggested that if a cup is going to fall, the shot most often was most likely to go in anyway. Any different observations?

mlayth

billy I’ve played with kids who intentially pitched the ball to knock over a cup.
    It didn’t hit inside of the cup, just blasted the side and knocked it off the table.

William Gaines
    Keymaster

billy I’ve played with kids who intentially pitched the ball to knock over a cup.
    It didn’t hit inside of the cup, just blasted the side and knocked it off the table.

And that’s where the language in our rules (which of course you haven’t seen) will basically say something like, "The cup counts unless it is clear that the cup had no chance of sinking the cup." I’m not sure if that’ll be the final wording, but what we’re basically getting at is that in most cases I’ve seen, if the shot was a good-faith shot and the cup falls, the ball probably would have gone in. In the cases you described, however, that is not a good-faith shot, so it will count as a miss.

nakazato

If anybody has any other thoughts, let’s hear ‘em. Also, as I previously stated, my observations have suggested that if a cup is going to fall, the shot most often was most likely to go in anyway. Any different observations?

We play that a falling cups only counts if it spills… but as with the rest of us Im totally flexible and just want to play with WSOBP rules for awhile to get into the flow.

But here is my input:

If a player who has been doing it for quite some time plays defence by using a stiff hand in the back to prevent cup movement it is very likely that a ball that would have knocked the cup off (and counted under WSOBP rules) would be prevented to fall and the ball either may go in, or ricochet off…

I feel that it would then be advantagous for players to use some sort of stiffhand wall support for every shot… But being that there is a "let it ride" rule this is possibly interfering with gameplay a bit…

Under WSOBP rules I think it would be best to say that you can’t touch a cup unless it is clear that there is no shot in progress and the cup isnt going to be knocked back… (for example to fix some floater cup or something…)

William Gaines
    Keymaster

I absolutely agree with the suggestion that it would therefore be to everyone’s benefit to always provide back support.

The problem, however (or so I feel), is that you then get into situations where arguments erupt over whether the guy moved a cup, thereby causing a ball not to go in, or if the cup just simply moved itself.

I’m not saying it should be one way or the other – just giving one counter argument.

obscene

yeah but if you got kids that knock cups over for gain, without an attempt to sink the cup propertly, i think they should see off one of thier own cups also.

that would put a stop to kids pitching as hard as they can at the base of the cups

nakazato

Good solution. If you state that an obvious attempt not to sink a cup (but just to knock one over) costs your team a cup no matter what, then it is stupid to try it. This would clear up any ‘let it ride’ issues and it can be clearly stated that there can be no interference of the cups/balls when a shot is in play.

Next question would be: who decides that a shot is made with the intention of knocking cups over?

Ive seen a good many lasers in my day… and I still feel this rule of falling cups counting gives the frozen dart shot some more validity.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook