(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Both players shoot 3rd ball

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates Both players shoot 3rd ball

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  dwissbrun2 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sauce1

Was curious to see if anyone ever played a rule I came across at a tourny the other night.

They played WS rules EXCEPT if both your players hit 1 cup on the roll back the only way the 3rd cup is taken away is if both players hit that same cup.

I played with a sub par partner and it really levelled the playing field and that is the reasoning the kid implemented that rule to eliminate 1 player from dominating.

I thought about it after and I liked the rule because it made it more a team game but felt on the “Pro Scene” that would probably further the gap from the great teams and average teams.

cjmcka

Interesting rule, but as you said, it would only further separate pro teams from the pack. Do you think this rule would give going first and shooting one ball an advantage? (or a larger advantage, if, like me, you think going first is better)

dwissbrun2

Was curious to see if anyone ever played a rule I came across at a tourny the other night.

They played WS rules EXCEPT if both your players hit 1 cup on the roll back the only way the 3rd cup is taken away is if both players hit that same cup.

I played with a sub par partner and it really levelled the playing field and that is the reasoning the kid implemented that rule to eliminate 1 player from dominating.

I thought about it after and I liked the rule because it made it more a team game but felt on the "Pro Scene" that would probably further the gap from the great teams and average teams.

that’s actually a pretty cool rule

it does make it harder for good teams to run away. however, it conversley makes it harder for weaker teams to make a run and get back into a game. so does either outweigh the other???

interesting though

ecastro715

I thought about it after and I liked the rule because it made it more a team game but felt on the "Pro Scene" that would probably further the gap from the great teams and average teams.

interesting. i like it.

sfoster

I originally suggested this rule.. a lot of people seemed to like it at the time, but it was never adopted. Interesting to hear that a tournament was run this way.

I never liked the fact that a perfect game can amount to one player hitting 7 cups and the other playing hitting 3. A balanced team game shouldn’t involve one person making 70% of the cups.

sfoster

Interesting rule, but as you said, it would only further separate pro teams from the pack.

This would rule would make it so everyone shoots more balls per game.
    Thus, more game time for your money when you sign up for the WSOBP!

jeffbarnes

I never liked the fact that a perfect game can amount to one player hitting 7 cups and the other playing hitting 3. A balanced team game shouldn’t involve one person making 70% of the cups.

a.k.a. the Steph Bertrand Substitution Rule

I like this idea.

wianek

I like this idea.

+1

dwissbrun2

kessler – did the rule include removing the ball before the 2nd player shoots at the cup, or could it be left in?

i think it should be pulled… otherwise you’re leaving a lot to chance. i’ve see as many balls stick in a cup, and as many bounce out, when a ball is already in there.

grandemike

i like this rule a lot but what if both players shoot and make different cups on the 3rd ball????? does it get taken away or do u get penaliezed for not making the same cup???

sfoster

i like this rule a lot but what if both players shoot and make different cups on the 3rd ball????? does it get taken away or do u get penaliezed for not making the same cup???

you have to both make the same cup, and the ball gets taken out before you shoot

justpongit

:ir:

sauce1

you have to both make the same cup, and the ball gets taken out before you shoot

Exactly another reason i liked the rule ….no scapper cups….If someone hits back row your partner needs to hit that same cup

nvelissa

I like it. I always thought it should be a mandatory rule to alternate who takes the triple. A lot of teams do this anyway, but a forced alternating 3rd ball rule would also do this.

The only thing that I am not sure about with both having to hit the 3rd shot is that it does make the pro scene lower relying on a partner, but it also has the same effect on the non pros, who would most likely not get too many if any triples this way. It does eliminate the one player from dominating and would be good if the players are lopsided. But you and a partner can play and triple this way because it takes the partner hitting to count. two puds both having to hit would be way less likely and it makes that extra cup more valuable as well

sultan

I like this idea.

Hey guys can some one fill me on the Steph Bertrand joke? Knowing your whit I imagine it’s good…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook