(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Distance Standardization

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates Distance Standardization

This topic contains 38 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  strider 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

vesticlesp

So in preparation for some upcoming World Pong Tour satellites, we decided to practice last night with their “new” rules. According to their site it’s a 7.5 foot table with a line 12 inches back from the table. Now I have a BPong table myself, so a little math led to us drawing a line 9 inches behind the BPong table to get some practice in at that distance. (8 ft v. 7.5ft = 3 extra inches on each side + 9 inches to create the full 12).

Anyways, after playing at that distance last night I’ve decided that the legit beer pong community needs to come together on an exact distance. Pong is about muscle memory and when you add 9 inches to your distance your memory is all off, then when you come back to what I feel is the right distance (the BPong length) you’re all out of wack again.

Yes, I know in the long run the best shooters will win, but for those of us who are looking to continually improve at this game, it would be really helpful to just have one distance. Instead of Congress worrying about PED’s let’s get them on this “one distance for all beer pong games” issue!! Who’s with me?!

pandemonium2

i may be wrong….but im wondering where you got the 9inches from??

they have 7.5ft. tables and use a piece of paper to measure where they put the tape, which like you said was 12 inches. This makes it an 8.5 ft. shot with ur foot on the line….am i right??

so if u had a bpong table….wouldnt you just measure 6 inches back to make it also an 8.5 ft. shot??

not dogging ya or being an ass just trying to figure out the math

ive played in 5 wpt tourneys coming from mi and won one in Lockport, and thats what ive always figured it to be.

pandemonium2

MY FAULT lmao

im in class and read it way too fast haha

i didnt see the part where u talked about the 3 inches haha damn i suck…..

which tourneys are you playing in??

-Lester-

dwissbrun2

i may be wrong….

given that you’ve played in their tourneys, i’d give you the benifit of the doubt… but the official rules say that they put a line 12 inches back from the legs of the table. so does anybody know how long that actually makes the throwing distance from tape to table end??? i’m not buying a bj’s table, so maybe somebody can do the math for the rest of us…

8ft bpong tables sure would be nice everywhere :sing:

vesticlesp

i may be wrong….but im wondering where you got the 9inches from??

they have 7.5ft. tables and use a piece of paper to measure where they put the tape, which like you said was 12 inches. This makes it an 8.5 ft. shot with ur foot on the line….am i right??

so if u had a bpong table….wouldnt you just measure 6 inches back to make it also an 8.5 ft. shot??

not dogging ya or being an ass just trying to figure out the math

ive played in 5 wpt tourneys coming from mi and won one in Lockport, and thats what ive always figured it to be.

Maybe we over thought this, but I figured if the table is 6 inches smaller total, that each side would be 3 inches shorter, so we added 9 inches to an 8 footer to create the right distance.

On the other hand if you are 7.5 ft from the cups, then you should be 8.5 feet away with the line, so that’s 6 inches.

Either way, a standard distance would be nice. We won a WPT Satellite last year, so it’s not like we can’t do it, I’m just saying, if I’m going to be practicing for all these tourney’s it’d be nice to do it from one distance.

vesticlesp

MY FAULT lmao

-Lester-

Rochester and Buffalo. which ones did you play in?

dub

Well, standard distance would be great, but it doesn’t really bother me that much if it’s different. As long as it’s not a ridiculous change.

I played down in White Plains at a bar called the Thirsty Turtle and it was insane. I have no idea what the actual dimensions were, but my normal shot wasn’t even reaching the cups. Deep from NJ was complaining about the same thing. The tables themselves were probably at least 9 feet long and there was at least a 12 inch line put behind that that you couldn’t cross. That kinda thing is really tough to deal with. A few inches? Not such a big deal. You just need a couple games to get used to it.

pandemonium2
    MY FAULT lmao

-Lester-

OH no shit??

i cant remember when we went but we played in those, we were the guys from MI haha

the last time we were there we played in Ithaca, Rochester and Lockport these were for the spring break vacation.

the 2 guys from MI (designated drinkers) won the 1st two and we won the 1 in lockport…

and i came around this time last year and played in a satellite for the wsobp in rochester and buffalo and i believe the bars were quote in buffalo and something about a PIG in rochester haha

GSP

im not sure about the 9inches…..your bpong table is 8ft long, which is 6inches longer then the 7.5ft table WBPT uses…..so if you put a taped line 12 inches behind a 7.5′ table, you would only have to put a 6inch line behind a 8ft table.

i agree tho, there should be a standard size…..however WBPT is sponsored by BJ’s Beer Pong, so thats prolly where they get there tables from. Bj’s "official" table is 7.5ft long….so as long as they get their tables from them, i assume the taped foul line aint going anywhere.

vesticlesp
    MY FAULT lmao

-Lester-

OH no shit??

i cant remember when we went but we played in those, we were the guys from MI haha

the last time we were there we played in Ithaca, Rochester and Lockport these were for the spring break vacation.

the 2 guys from MI (designated drinkers) won the 1st two and we won the 1 in lockport…

and i came around this time last year and played in a satellite for the wsobp in rochester and buffalo and i believe the bars were quote in buffalo and something about a PIG in rochester haha

Oh yea, I remember. You guys are the team with the one dude who just yells shit the whole time right? Blond guy?

We won the February WPT Satellite last year. I think the one at the PIG was in May. We had a pretty poor showing at that one. I think we might have played you guys though.

vesticlesp

Well, standard distance would be great, but it doesn’t really bother me that much if it’s different. As long as it’s not a ridiculous change.

I played down in White Plains at a bar called the Thirsty Turtle and it was insane. I have no idea what the actual dimensions were, but my normal shot wasn’t even reaching the cups. Deep from NJ was complaining about the same thing. The tables themselves were probably at least 9 feet long and there was at least a 12 inch line put behind that that you couldn’t cross. That kinda thing is really tough to deal with. A few inches? Not such a big deal. You just need a couple games to get used to it.

On the 10 rack my shot felt decent, but once I got to the back row it was a whole different thing. Couple games later, it felt better, but still one distance would be sweet.

9ft with a 12inch line is ridiculous.

dwissbrun2

You just need a couple games to get used to it.

i def agree with you that it’s not a huge deal… but those couple of games can be the difference between being in a tourney and not being in a tourney

dwissbrun2

Oh yea, I remember. You guys are the team with the one dude who just yells shit the whole time right? Blond guy?

:ir:

the one and only Troy

j0schm03

I didn’t know math was so hard haha jk. Yeah your thinking way to much about it. You need a line 6 inches back from the bpong table for it to be to WPT standards, that’s it.

And ahh yeah, Troy leaves his mark everywhere he goes haha. "Green Eggs & Ham" is not well liked lol.

But it doesn’t really bother if it’s just 6 inch difference, but me and Lester played at a bar that was fucking ridiculous. It was an 8 foot table and they wouldn’t let us stand within 2 feet of the damn table. So we were shooting on a 10 foot table at least. You ever try to throw something that light that far before? Yea it was fucking gay. As long as it’s close to the 8 foot mark I’m cool with it.

dub

You just need a couple games to get used to it.

i def agree with you that it’s not a huge deal… but those couple of games can be the difference between being in a tourney and not being in a tourney

Yup, you’re right about that. I just always make sure I arrive early to get my buzz and get 3 or 4 games in to get used to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook