(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Eliminate the Bounce….

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates Eliminate the Bounce….

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  dptoken 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

geno9

listen i dont talk much on this so im sure its been discussed before and if not well it needs to be…..

take bouncing out of the game .. lets face it no one does it anyway especially the better players and ive never seen it done before….

heres why .. lets say you have a standard 10 cup rack .. they hit the # 5 cup (which is the dead middle/worst cup to hit) and than they hit the # 2 cup….

obviously this team isnt that good or got a shitty start, now they hit that dead area the next time they shoot and it roles up the cup and into another, you are gonna reward bad play by technically thats a bounce and still in play, trust me ive seen this before….

its not the one where its a high bounce and you have time to defend it, its the one where it quickly roles up the cup and right in another where you cant defend it or you risk knocking over 6 cups instead, im sure we’ve all seen this….

i just dont understand how you can reward bad play there….

only way to get this taken care of is eliminate the bounce, once it hits the table it should be a dead ball .. this is different than its rolling from one cup to another without touching the table, that should still count obviously but the table should be dead…..

any thoughts???

austin

take bouncing out of the game .. lets face it no one does it anyway especially the better players and ive never seen it done before….

Actually there are quite a few teams at WSOBP who bounce. One year we were up 3-1 on a team and they tripled up on the last 3 cups bouncing. I think you’re concerned about something that happens maybe once in like 20-30 games. Don’t see that really being a big enough deal for a rule change.

dwissbrun2

totally agree with austin. there are teams out there that bounce. don’t forget that girls like to bounce too, so no need to drive them away.

the point is that you don’t need to go out of the way to exclude anyone from the game.

for good players, bouncing is not a threat at all. as long as you hit your shots you should be ok.

plus, there is luck in every sport. when that guy on the giants caught the pass in the superbowl against the patriots… does anybody think that was much more than luck??? what does he make that catch 1 out of 10 times? shit happens.

otherwise we should go to call-shot pong, and then no junk shots count.

austin

plus, there is luck in every sport. when that guy on the giants caught the pass in the superbowl against the patriots…

David Tyree…he was on the Ravens last year

William Gaines
    Keymaster

I think Skinny and/or I proposed removing the bounce last year, and everybody was pretty much against the proposed change. If people now feel differently, we’ll certainly more than willing to consider it (along with anything else that is reasonably proposed and debated).

joefish

I say keep the bounce. I see teams use it from time to time. For those lucky cups, who cares. If a team needs luck to hit cups (especially the first few) they shouldn’t be much of a threat anyway.

geno9

well there should be a rule implemented that rewards a bad shot….

like i said before its not really for the person that plays a legit bounce shot but for someone who is actually trying to throw it in a cup in the air and misses it airballs bounces off the table and goes in…..

you guys are right it doesnt happen that often and teams that do prolly arent that good and you dont need to worry about but still why reward bad play….

here’s maybe what you can do one of 2 things .. either if the balls floats in the air past a) the last line where the table folds or b) passed the first cup left on your side .. than when the ball lands on the table past those points the ball is declared dead….

so it wont eliminate a bounce shooter, it will only eliminate a bad shooter….

i guess technically its hard to establish that rule, but maybe try it at a qualifier or something….

my hole point was to eliminate poor shooting

Honestly I think we should go with the old style rules, where bouncing equals 2 cups and you can defend it… Why not, if someone is slick enough to bounce it in give him that.. add more intensity to each game where you have to on edge defensively as well as offensively.. cuz right now its an all offensive sport.. with the bouncing rule in effect you have to ready at all times thruout the game..

adfraser1

Honestly I think we should go with the old style rules, where bouncing equals 2 cups and you can defend it… Why not, if someone is slick enough to bounce it in give him that.. add more intensity to each game where you have to on edge defensively as well as offensively.. cuz right now its an all offensive sport.. with the bouncing rule in effect you have to ready at all times thruout the game..

Can u imagine if both players were turned around and a player shot it and said they bounced…and it was to go ot or something. Also, there would be balls flying all over the place. Just leave the bounce. Who really cares? Just make 1 more than the other team…

dwissbrun2

Also, there would be balls flying all over the place. Just leave the bounce. Who really cares? Just make 1 more than the other team…

yeah, the world series would be a mess with balls going everywhere.

How would you feel if you missed day 3 b/c somebody 2 tables away swatted a ball into your face while shooting at last cup?

adfraser1

right…b, d and s have done such a great job adapting the rules for us. i think they are great for tournament play. they are fair and avoid a lot of disputes.

pauls

I don’t really see how that is any different than any other miss-make. Accidental cups are made all the time and they are part of the game whether they bounce off another cup, the table, or simply just miss the target cup and hit another. Implementing this would be the first step towards needing to call your target every time for it to count, which I think would just be silly and not a good idea.

geno9

i think you guys are taking this a little out of context….

im not saying this so that we can eventually go towards you gotta call your shot, you know how long games would go if that was the case and you know how much of an advantage a better than average player would have over most of the field….

all im saying is that it sucks when it hits a dead area in your cups on a fly and bounces off the table and scrambles up the cup into one where you have no chance of blocking it…

i guess its more of a complaint than a rule change cause i think its dumb for rewarding a bad play…..

bouncing a skill and if you wanna do it, go for it and i know theres luck involved with anything, if you shoot for the front cup and bounces off and goes in another, whatever….

i feel this is a totally different situation .. you shot completely missed the cups and somehow get rewarded, thats all im saying .. so thats why i was saying use the last line where the table folds rule, if the ball floats passed that point and lands on table its dead, so you can still bounce cause normally thats in the middle of the table or right to the other side….

i know this rule is almost impossible to implement but i was trying to prove a point with saying thats its retarted for rewarding that particular shot…..

dwissbrun2

yeah bro, i don’t think anybody would disagree with you that those junk shots are annoying.

it’s just that changing the rules for something that happens so infrequently might not be worth it. i don’t think your idea about the no bounce zone in the last 4th of the table is bad, i’m just not sure if it’s worth adding more rules to eliminate that from happening. since i’ve been playing with these rules for years & years adding another wouldn’t be a big deal for me. I just wonder what newbies think when they try to read the already 3 pages of rules out there :shock:

well whatever, i’m not against what you lastly proposed, i just think it’s not that big of a deal.

wianek

im not saying this so that we can eventually go towards you gotta call your shot, you know how long games would go if that was the case and you know how much of an advantage a better than average player would have over most of the field….

i guess its more of a complaint than a rule change cause i think its dumb for rewarding a bad play…..

you are contradicting yourself.

hitting a random cup on the fly is a "bad play" as well, so by your logic we should be playing call your cup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Free Domestic Shipping on Orders of $50 or More in the US.

Facebook