(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

LEANing

This topic contains 164 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  dwissbrun2 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 165 total)
  • Author

adon14x

Just because you can throw up hail mary’s like doug flutie from 9ft back doesnt make you good. Leaning will be around in beerpong until there are people that shoot 100%.

cjazel

DIE DIE DIE

theglory
    everytime i see a leaning forum im forced to read it to see how people hate on the pros like they would beat them without leaning or something n somehow it also surprises me they keep popping up

What makes you a pro? Is this your actual profession, or is it that you have competed in tournaments that makes you a pro?

what are you retarded? who said i was a pro im not n it actually says something that im backing them up n garunteed if you wanna play just holler at me cause i got j’s n i wouldnt even use elbows i hate when my opponents whine like children

dub
    Proxx, what’s fraudulent is standing back and just shooting at a mass of cups, hoping one goes in. Leaning brings a way higher competitive edge to the game.

There is nothing fradulent about not leaning. I usually play on a regulation size ping pong table (9ft) and do not lean. I have gone undefeated in double elimination tournaments withouth leaning on 9 foot tables. If leaning is a part of the game im not going to try and change it but excessive leaning (i.e streching out as far as possible) does not even seem fun to me and kind of ridiculous. A slight lean with the body at the edge of the table and the arm streching as far as possible I do not have a problem with.

I’m sure the competition at these "tourneys" is real fierce. :ir:

Seriously though man, you’re wasting your time posting here. None of us give a fuck what you think. If you’d like, you can be the FIRST PERSON to EVER actually show up ANYWHERE WE PLAY and identify themselves to us and challenge us. We will play YOUR rules and still take your money. Of course, we’ll need a fucking referee and obviously a camera for instant replay for every made cup to make sure there’s no VIOLATIONS.

Good luck with your no leaning tournies though, dude. I hope eventually you get a real large cash prize and have to tell some kid his last cup rebuttal shot didn’t count cause his elbow crossed an imaginary line by a millimeter according to the kid with the Ed Hardy shirt on drinking a sex on the beach who happens to be rooting for the douche bags playing against him.

mattym
    [ quote="joefish&amp ;quo t;]Proxx, what’s fraudulent is standing back and just shooting at a mass of cups, hoping one goes in. Leaning brings a way higher competitive edge to the game.

There is nothing fradulent about not leaning. I usually play on a regulation size ping pong table (9ft) and do not lean. I have gone undefeated in double elimination tournaments withouth leaning on 9 foot tables. If leaning is a part of the game im not going to try and change it but excessive leaning (i.e streching out as far as possible) does not even seem fun to me and kind of ridiculous. A slight lean with the body at the edge of the table and the arm streching as far as possible I do not have a problem with.

Seriously though man, you’re wasting your time posting here. None of us give a fuck what you think. If you’d like, you can be the FIRST PERSON to EVER actually show up ANYWHERE WE PLAY and identify themselves to us and challenge us. We will play YOUR rules and still take your money. Of course, we’ll need a fucking referee and obviously a camera for instant replay for every made cup to make sure there’s no VIOLATIONS.

Good luck with your no leaning tournies though, dude. I hope eventually you get a real large cash prize and have to tell some kid his last cup rebuttal shot didn’t count cause his elbow crossed an imaginary line by a millimeter according to the kid with the Ed Hardy shirt on drinking a sex on the beach who happens to be rooting for the douche bags playing against him.

Do yourself a favor and read the part where I said i dont mind if the elbow crosses but i think EXCESSIVE leaning is garbage. I play anyones house rules, i am constantly adapting to the game. You lost me with the ed hardy reference but as far as referees go, they are not needed, its a gentleman’s game and if someone is leaning too much and it is against house rules, you call them out, tell them the house rules and they will most certainly comply.

mattym
    [ quote="joefish&amp ;quo t;]Proxx, what’s fraudulent is standing back and just shooting at a mass of cups, hoping one goes in. Leaning brings a way higher competitive edge to the game.

As far as showing up and playing, I am down. You don’t have to play my rules, you can lean; i prefer not to thats my shot.

bp4life

its a gentleman’s game

You obviously have not been exposed to some of the "gentlemen" in the competetive beer pong world.

Here is the deal – house rules work fine at house parties, but when there is significant money on the line, you can’t leave things up to judgement calls like whether someone leaned "excessively" or not.

gshunt

Ok honestly, so far this thread doesn’t have the best responses in regards to the topic of leaning. I liked Kessler’s, some of the others were ok, most were just joking and funny.

Why is this?

Because as Skinny mentioned the topic has literally been beaten to death over and over again before this. I would highly encourage you to go search through the previous threads for these discussions (yes you’ll waste 30 minutes reading, so up to you if it is worth it), and amidst some good and bad responses you will find some excellent points for why leaning (even the excessive kind) is allowed. You may not agree after reading these, but that is a different matter then not reading them at all.

I suppose I just point this out as in general when the person arguing against leaning responds to previous posts, they always ignore the fantastic arguments in terms of rebutting them, and only focus on previous inflammatory posts. I’m not sure why this is, if you want to have a good academic discussion and want to prove your point is best just ignore the inflammatory stuff, and only respond to well reasoned arguments.

For instance Kessler pointed out the 12ft rim vs 10ft rim hypothetical question. How do you feel about that? I can think of counterpoints you could use, but I don’t know how you actually feel. Just gets boring when people are just flaming back and forth lol.

mattym
    its a gentleman’s game

You obviously have not been exposed to some of the "gentlemen" in the competetive beer pong world.

Here is the deal – house rules work fine at house parties, but when there is significant money on the line, you can’t leave things up to judgement calls like whether someone leaned "excessively" or not.

In my first post, and other posts thereafter I have said I understand this point.

mattym

Ok honestly, so far this thread doesn’t have the best responses in regards to the topic of leaning. I liked Kessler’s, some of the others were ok, most were just joking and funny.

Why is this?

Because as Skinny mentioned the topic has literally been beaten to death over and over again before this. I would highly encourage you to go search through the previous threads for these discussions (yes you’ll waste 30 minutes reading, so up to you if it is worth it), and amidst some good and bad responses you will find some excellent points for why leaning (even the excessive kind) is allowed. You may not agree after reading these, but that is a different matter then not reading them at all.

I suppose I just point this out as in general when the person arguing against leaning responds to previous posts, they always ignore the fantastic arguments in terms of rebutting them, and only focus on previous inflammatory posts. I’m not sure why this is, if you want to have a good academic discussion and want to prove your point is best just ignore the inflammatory stuff, and only respond to well reasoned arguments.

For instance Kessler pointed out the 12ft rim vs 10ft rim hypothetical question. How do you feel about that? I can think of counterpoints you could use, but I don’t know how you actually feel. Just gets boring when people are just flaming back and forth lol.

First, I did apologize for starting this thread without doing my research and also apologized for beating a dead horse, etc. I have also conceded some points, like in big tournaments, no matter if there is money on the line or not, it is not efficient to have such rules as the elbow rule because of the constant complaing, bitching, and so on that would delay the tournament and streach the officiating resources razor thin. (unless there was a ref at everyt able which is highly unlikely in the wsobp). As far as the 10ft rim to 12ft (if 12ft was made official in bball would I still play on a 10 ft net) beer pong was founded on house rules and yes this may be the only set of formal rules, it is not set in stone and with a certain amount of people and pressure any rule can change. Also, if someone prefers to shoot without leaning and they are more comfortable doing so, that is not against the rules. Listen, I like all of you, love this game, I apologize for starting a thread that has been beaten like ginger stepchild but where I come from you do not lean. I do however realize how hard it would be to enforce such a rule. I have played beer pong too many times to count, am 3 years out of college and have only encountered maybe a hand full of leaners that when asked politely to not lean, they have obliged.

jeffbarnes

you crazy kids and your beer bongs

I apologize for starting a thread that has been beaten like ginger stepchild

you mean Hulse?

its a gentleman’s game

In my first post, and other posts thereafter I have said I understand this point.

If you understand the point, then you understand why you’re wasting your time debating the point here. While most of these players I’m sure would love to play anyone by anyone’s rules in an informal setting for a pitcher of beer, the fact is that a couple of the guys responding to your post are among the top 10 beer pong players in the world. Many of the guys here make considerable money doing this, & the rules are fixed in their world-leaning is allowed. No matter how ridiculous you may think it is to allow leaning, it’s here to stay in the big leagues. From the vids I’ve seen, it is anything BUT a gentleman’s game on day 3 of the WSOBP.

Edit: Matt, I was posting at the same time as your last post, so mine is a moot point! Cheers!

mattym
    its a gentleman’s game

If you understand the point, then you understand why you’re wasting your time debating the point here. While most of these players I’m sure would love to play anyone by anyone’s rules in an informal setting for a pitcher of beer, the fact is that a couple of the guys responding to your post are among the top 10 beer pong players in the world. Many of the guys here make considerable money doing this, & the rules are fixed in their world-leaning is allowed. No matter how ridiculous you may think it is to allow leaning, it’s here to stay in the big leagues. From the vids I’ve seen, it is anything BUT a gentleman’s game on day 3 of the WSOBP.

This is why there’s such a big difference between "the gentleman’s game" in generic house games, & real competition.

Just because I said it was a "gentlemans game" does not mean it is not competetive. The gentlemen part comes in (in a no leaning environment) to shoot with your elbow behind the line. This means that I trust my opponent will play by the rules so I will not have to call them out for something like that. Believe me I have gotten in fights over pong after 14 game series where it came down to the last cup. It is VERY competetive. Also, I do realize some people who have posted are amoung the best because of articles I have read on this site and others and I have nothing but respect for them. The reason I started this thread is because, like you, I am passionate about the game and they are just the rules where I come from. I have conceded some points because like I said I did not read all of the previous threads and in them people have brought up good points. So I was throwing my views out there without reading other threads and researching what has already been said on here, which I apologized for. I know my shot and what is comfortable for me and maybe next year if I enter the wsobp I will work on my lean but for now I know I can sink it from 9ft without leaning at all.

cditzel

I, to this day, have not met anyone who can clearly write a rule preventing "excessive leaning" and prevent any arguments at the same time. If you can draw a line between say this much leaning and that much leaning, more power to you. But until then, pigs won’t be flying and whenever a significant amount of money is on the line there WILL be leaning.

It’s kind of like the rule change(correct me if I’m wrong) for MDBP about a year ago when it was "You have to have 2 feet on the ground when you shoot" and now it’s "you can lift your foot when you shoot."

This was changed because there was no clear way to tell whether the foot coming off the ground was someones follow-through during their shot, or they were trying to gain extra lean by lifting a foot off the ground.

It’s better to have a rule that is defined black and white, then have a grey area such as excessive leaning.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook