(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

people who get entirely too caught up in rules

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates people who get entirely too caught up in rules

This topic contains 71 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  zach_wetpockets 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

so long story short, I go to this little house party at this girl’s house. Some guy brought a pong table. So we are playing by the girl’s house rules, and the entire time he is bitching about how the rules were bullshit, he plays by “the real rules”, etc etc. And just crying non stop. We were playing an elbow rule, but he bitched about his table “being a regulation table, therefore there is no elbow rule”, so we let him lean, w/e, we just wanna fuckin play.

I wasn’t even drinking at this point, but he kept bitching about the rules so finally I was like “dude, the only rule you need to worry about is if you throw the ball in the cup the other team drinks”. So he starts talkin shit to me so I decide to play. Pick some random guy there to play with, we beat the hell out of him. Wasn’t even close. We play him again, beat him again. Again, bitching about the rules the whole time.

So he walks outside, comes back 15 minutes later with his normal beer pong partner…. lol. this guy went and called in reinforcements. Before we start this game he says he wants to play by the “real rules”, so I’m just like, whatever, we’ll play however, I’m still gonna throw the ball in the cup. So we beat his ass again one more time. He proceeds to take his table and leave.

Why do some people get so fucking caught up in the rules at parties? At tournies, I can understand. But at a house party? Get fuckin real. Throw the ball in the cup, drink your beer, and fuckin have fun.

cc91

Even though i play bpong rules all the time…i dont mind playing house rules at parties, its kinda fun still….BUT…im still going to lean regardless of what anyone says….The elbowrule is dead….D.O.E….get wit it, its the movement!

only time I play with an elbow rule is if we are playing on a short table. at my place last year in school, we had an 8 foot table that was higher than the wsobp table. elbows we didn’t care about, but excessive leaning would get called out. oh well. to each their own.

footofgod

Even though i play bpong rules all the time…i dont mind playing house rules at parties, its kinda fun still….BUT…im still going to lean regardless of what anyone says….The elbowrule is dead….D.O.E….get wit it, its the movement!

I don’t see why people complain at parties, yes…but, come the fuck on. This whole D.O.E is stupid. It’s really, really dumb. The elbow rule is really, really alive, and I kind of hate seeing you arrogant guys pretending minority rules. Feel free to lean at a huge tournament, because it makes sense with judging, etc., but leave it where it belongs. Personally, I’ve never, ever encountered a house that didn’t have elbow rules. Only you competitive beer pong players. Why is that? If you guys are good, why don’t you just step back when you’re at a party? I don’t care if you go a little over, I just care about a guy who can lean half way over the table because he’s 6’5"

When you play at a party, you NEED this rule. Girls play, short people play, bad people play. Stop trying to alienate people- this attitude is just going to make less and less people take you guys seriously. Beer pong is #1- fun #2- about drinking alot, and #3- about meaningless competition. Most of the people here seem to have it backwards. Get back to your roots.

imunk0wn2u

I don’t see why people complain at parties, yes…but, come the fuck on. This whole D.O.E is stupid. It’s really, really dumb. The elbow rule is really, really alive, and I kind of hate seeing you arrogant guys pretending minority rules. Feel free to lean at a huge tournament, because it makes sense with judging, etc., but leave it where it belongs. Personally, I’ve never, ever encountered a house that didn’t have elbow rules. Only you competitive beer pong players. Why is that? If you guys are good, why don’t you just step back when you’re at a party? I don’t care if you go a little over, I just care about a guy who can lean half way over the table because he’s 6’5"

When you play at a party, you NEED this rule. Girls play, short people play, bad people play. Stop trying to alienate people- this attitude is just going to make less and less people take you guys seriously. Beer pong is #1- fun #2- about drinking alot, and #3- about meaningless competition. Most of the people here seem to have it backwards. Get back to your roots.

First, your logic doesnt make sense. If leaning makes the game easier, why are we making girls, short people, and bad people step back and, in essence, make it harder for them? If leaning makes the game that much easier, then how is it that every game has a winner and not a game that goes on forever eventually ending in a tie? Why isn’t everyone doing it and never missing a single shot.

Second, at house parties, I see no issue with elbow rule. A lot of non-competitive people, trying to get everyone to play, then its awesome. I don’t think you will find anyone on this site to disagree with that. In a competition though, tournament, it’s different. You can’t sit there and regulate elbow rule on 8, 15, 100 tables, because if there was an elbow rule in a tournament, all i’m gonna do is say your elbow crossed every shot to make sure it doesnt count, which will ultimately lead up to a heated argument when all we did was come to #1have fun #2 drink and #3 have a little competition.

The problem I think you’re having is mixing the 2 scenes. A lot of us, if not all, obviously play competitively, where money is on the line. When your in that scenario, you can’t have kids going "Watch your elbow!! YOUR ELBOW CROSSED! NAH FUCK YOU THAT DONT COUNT! STOP LEANING YOU FUCKING PUSSY! YOUR ELBOW CROSSED AGAIN, DOESNT COUNT!" – There’s no place in competitive pong for that, it slows down the game, and just causes problems and fights. Easiest thing to do, since it can’t easily be regulated, is to do away with it.

Again, at a house party, where its all in fun anyway, I’ll play with the stupidest god damn rules you can dream up, I don’t care. Not when im playing for $1000, $5000, $50,000.

footofgod

First, your logic doesnt make sense. If leaning makes the game easier, why are we making girls, short people, and bad people step back and, in essence, make it harder for them? If leaning makes the game that much easier, then how is it that every game has a winner and not a game that goes on forever eventually ending in a tie? Why isn’t everyone doing it and never missing a single shot.

That’s got to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Shooting from 5 feet is easier than 6, and this rule guarantees it’s gonna be harder for shorter players. because they can’t lean nearly as far. If I’m wrong, show me a short team or a team of women that made it far in the finals. When some short guys start winning, I’ll believe you that it’s just absolutely skill. But what’s the lowest average height of a winning WSOBP team? Is it just that tall people HAPPEN to be better at beer pong? Give me a break. And, no, it’s not like basketball, where height has other disadvantages, such as mobility. Height + lean = making cups more easily.

…in a competition though, tournament, it’s different. You can’t sit there and regulate elbow rule on 8, 15, 100 tables, because if there was an elbow rule in a tournament, all i’m gonna do is say your elbow crossed every shot to make sure it doesnt count, which will ultimately lead up to a heated argument when all we did was come to #1have fun #2 drink and #3 have a little competition

Yeah, I acknowledged this. We’re in agreement here. Personally, I don’t like tournament beer pong even nearly as much because the only way to keep the balance is watering down all the rules, but I understand it (even though I think a shot line or longer tables is a good solution). To me, beer pong is way more than throwing a ball in a cup.

imunk0wn2u

That’s got to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Shooting from 5 feet is easier than 6, and this rule guarantees it’s gonna be harder for shorter players. because they can’t lean nearly as far. If I’m wrong, show me a short team or a team of women that made it far in the finals. When some short guys start winning, I’ll believe you that it’s just absolutely skill. But what’s the lowest average height of a winning WSOBP team? Is it just that tall people HAPPEN to be better at beer pong? Give me a break. And, no, it’s not like basketball, where height has other disadvantages, such as mobility. Height + lean = making cups more easily.

WSOBP 3 winners, Chauffering the Fat Kid. Maybe tallest kid is 5’9" or 5’10" – definately nothing above average (for guys at least). Wet Ballz, 1 guy 1 girl, 25th place at WSOBP 4 (out of 400+ teams).Yes shooting from 5 feet is easier than 6, but nothing will nuetralize it. Taller people have longer arms. Longer arms put you closer to the cups whether you lean or not. If we made the tables 10 ft, it’s only a matter of time before we’re having this same discussion. Tape line? Been done. You can still lean and taller players release points will always be closer than a shorter person. I don’t think moving a shorter person to 10 ft back and making them chuck it like a football is the answer though. Taller people will always have an advantage but to say Mike Pop, who shoots probably about 80% and won this past world series, and is about 6ft 6 only makes cups because he’s tall, what reason was it that his partner who is about 6ft, also shoots about 80%? Why is it some kids I know that are 6ft 6 only shoot 50% even though being tall? Why did some 5 ft 10 kids win it 2 years ago? Couldn’t be entirely luck….

Yeah, I acknowledged this. We’re in agreement here. Personally, I don’t like tournament beer pong even nearly as much because the only way to keep the balance is watering down all the rules, but I understand it (even though I think a shot line or longer tables is a good solution). To me, beer pong is way more than throwing a ball in a cup.

Your right in saying they are watered down, because they are. You have to have a set of rules that speed up the game and eliminate as many disputes as possible, which means taking the game down to its simplest form. Not as fun as house party rules? Maybe. But it’s a whole other element when you have 1 cup left with thousands of dollars on the line with 300 people looking at you then just losing yur spot on the table with 10 people looking at you at a party.

bizness

dude i stopped reading your post when I saw you say D.O.E. is stupid, i’m gonna D.O.E. you upside your head if I ever get a chance to meet you. nut up or shutup and stop bitchin. D.O.E. is a professional pong movement, if you dont like it then STFU and keep getting leaned on

bizness

link

That’s the kind of stuff subjective Elbow Rule games lead to. Keep the crime out of pong!!!

footofgod

I know you can’t get rid of the advantage, but instead of minimizing it, allowing unlimited leaning absolutely maximizes it, and that seems wrong (hence, why it’s absolutely necessary at a party setting). And there’s a big difference between leaning from a 6 foot shot to a 4 foot shot and trying to lean from farther away- soon it gets to where it’s not a huge advantage, and you can’t get the angular advantage, either. My other problem is a 4 foot shot is just… lame and unimpressive, even when done with great accuracy.

…and, come on, 5’10". Thats the SHORTEST? I saw that kid and he looked average height to me. One average height person and one girl who made it to 25th place isn’t really helping your case. 90% of these guys are monsters.

Another thing, people complain there’s no way to enforce any of this, but how do you enforce the "no leaning around the table" aspect? I’ve seen guys that are more to one side than the other. What’s to stop an asshole from making a big fuss: HE’S LEANING AROUND THE TABLE! GET IN THE CENTER OF THE TABLE! There’s no way to stop assholes from being assholes, especially when they’re drunk. Stop making the game about appeasing them.

imunk0wn2u

I know you can’t get rid of the advantage, but instead of minimizing it, allowing unlimited leaning absolutely maximizes it, and that seems wrong (hence, why it’s absolutely necessary at a party setting). And there’s a big difference between leaning from a 6 foot shot to a 4 foot shot and trying to lean from farther away- soon it gets to where it’s not a huge advantage, and you can’t get the angular advantage, either. My other problem is a 4 foot shot is just… lame and unimpressive, even when done with great accuracy.

…and, come on, 5’10". Thats the SHORTEST? I saw that kid and he looked average height to me. One average height person and one girl who made it to 25th place isn’t really helping your case. 90% of these guys are monsters.

Another thing, people complain there’s no way to enforce any of this, but how do you enforce the "no leaning around the table" aspect? I’ve seen guys that are more to one side than the other. What’s to stop an asshole from making a big fuss: HE’S LEANING AROUND THE TABLE! GET IN THE CENTER OF THE TABLE! There’s no way to stop assholes from being assholes, especially when they’re drunk. Stop making the game about appeasing them.

you got a point with the leaning around the table but you don’t see that many people doing it. One one to minimize that is the make them keep there feet inbetween the legs of the table. Again, how do you enforce that? It’s tough. In a tournament, if someone did it and you called them on it and they made the shot, you’d probabaly have to call them out, but make the shot count and just bring it to a staff members attention so that they can maybe regulate for the rest. I think this may have actually been a problem at last years wsobp so I’m not sure how they did/are going to handle it in the future.

As far as the height thing is still concerned….the tables are a certain height. Theres a point where being tall and being short are going to advnatages and disadvantages, just the way life is I guess. I know a guy who’s maybe 5’2" but beats my ass and im almost a foot taller. He deals with it. He practices. He adjusts. Theres gotta be a point where being too tall is a disadvantage too. And a 4 foot shot may be unimpressive, but when I’m trying to win $50k, the last thing I’m trying to do is impress anyone.

I guess as you can see, you’re not going to appeal to everyone. You start appeasing to the shorter people, tall people are gonna bitch and vice versa. It’s just the same in all sports I guess. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and in this game, height is an advantage, totally. If your shorter, you have to learn to hone in on your hand eye coordination a little better. In baseball, I was the slowest damn kid on the team, so what did I do? I certainly didn’t hit for base hits. I took the ball yard. Learn your strength, or develop a strength, and eventually you’ll be unstoppable.

bizness

Dude bottom line is – people who bitch about having an Elbow Rule do it because they think theyre at an unfair advantage when someone is leaning on them. A quick way to solve this at any of your house parties or whatever is to play on a longer table and just lean. Why try to police a rule thats so subjective? Even in the evolution of pong, if the tables are made bigger, leaning will still be allowed because its the best and most comfortable way to play.

You can have fun screaming at people judging from across the table if their elbows actually going over or not. It’s all mental, if someones leaning bothers you then its gonna bother you no matter what. You might *feel* better thinking that a persons elbow isnt crossing the plane of the table but when it comes down to it a good player can win no matter where they are, its all about gettin adjusted, and most people are adjusted to the 8ft table because they have become the norm, so dont complain about the most popular form of competitive pong, save that for house games if you’d like, and make sure you can duck quick because it’s gonna cause more problems than anything.

D.O.E.

prusch

Leaning makes the game easier. True. Being tall makes leaning easier, thereby making the game easier – only somewhat true.

The best leaner I’ve seen is Mike Wan, who is no taller than 5’7" (can I get an official ruling on that Mike?)

Does leaning look ridiculous to people who have played in their basement with an elbow rule their whole lives? Of course. At times I’ve felt ridiculous leaning against self-imposed elbow rule players before remembering that $ is on the line. When $ is on the line, having games held up to argue about someone’s elbow crossing a line is absolutely horrendous (happens at every single ER tourney I’ve ever been to).

If the argument is that tall players have an advantage – a tape line or longer table won’t doesn’t fix anything.

So what’s the solution? Get used to leaning.

wianek

If the argument is that tall players have an advantage – a tape line or longer table won’t doesn’t fix anything.

A longer table or tape line would actually reduce the advantage taller players have. They would still have an advantage, it would just be smaller.

It would also reduce the perception of people shooting from the half way across the table and "dunking" the ball.

cc91

A longer table or tape line would actually reduce the advantage taller players have. They would still have an advantage, it would just be smaller.

It would also reduce the perception of people shooting from the half way across the table and "dunking" the ball.

I posted in one of the other "leaning" threads….but im 6’6” and i was playin on a table that was at least 9 ft long and 3 ft high….and this completly changed the perception of me "dunking" the ball…..Only problem to this, is shorter ppl have an even greater disadvantage as far as i see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook