(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

people who get entirely too caught up in rules

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates people who get entirely too caught up in rules

This topic contains 71 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  zach_wetpockets 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author

prusch

A longer table or tape line would actually reduce the advantage taller players have. They would still have an advantage, it would just be smaller.

It would also reduce the perception of people shooting from the half way across the table and "dunking" the ball.

This is of course assuming that taller people can inherently lean further… which is not necessarily true looking at what Mike Wan does at 5’7".

So anyways – you’re right, but I’m also right. If you put a tape line down, I’m actually going to lean farther because I won’t have a table blocking my way. If you make the table longer, the percentage of table bypassed by the lean will diminish, but people will still bitch and moan about leaning.

wianek
    A longer table or tape line would actually reduce the advantage taller players have. They would still have an advantage, it would just be smaller.

It would also reduce the perception of people shooting from the half way across the table and "dunking" the ball.

This is of course assuming that taller people can inherently lean further… which is not necessarily true looking at what Mike Wan does at 5’7".

So anyways – you’re right, but I’m also right. If you put a tape line down, I’m actually going to lean farther because I won’t have a table blocking my way. If you make the table longer, the percentage of table bypassed by the lean will diminish, but people will still bitch and moan about leaning.

Wan does lean far, but since he is short he does not get as good of an angle as taller players. He is also a bit of an anomally when it comes to leaning. I don’t think you can argue that taller players do have an advantage overall.

And yes, you are right that some people will still bitch about leaning even if you make the table longer, but I do believe it would be less people than now. I used to play a lot on 10.5ft dining tables in college and don’t think I ever heard anyone bitch about leaning, in fact most people leaned just because the tables were so much longer than what they were used to. However, people would stick to elbow rule on 7 or 8 ft tables. IMO, most recreational players are used to playing on fairly short tables (6-8ft, though admitedly a good amount also play on ping pong tables), so if you make the "pro" tables longer, it creates a better argument for allowing the lean.

And just FYI, I am completely fine with the current set of rules and table sizes, I’m just trying to think from an outside perspective.

slowsen

Wan does lean far, but since he is short he does not get as good of an angle as taller players. He is also a bit of an anomally when it comes to leaning. I don’t think you can argue that taller players do have an advantage overall.

And yes, you are right that some people will still bitch about leaning even if you make the table longer, but I do believe it would be less people than now. I used to play a lot on 10.5ft dining tables in college and don’t think I ever heard anyone bitch about leaning, in fact most people leaned just because the tables were so much longer than what they were used to. However, people would stick to elbow rule on 7 or 8 ft tables. IMO, most recreational players are used to playing on fairly short tables (6-8ft, though admitedly a good amount also play on ping pong tables), so if you make the "pro" tables longer, it creates a better argument for allowing the lean.

And just FYI, I am completely fine with the current set of rules and table sizes, I’m just trying to think from an outside perspective.

Taller people tend to haveless hand eye coordination and body coordination than the average person. This decreases the advantage a bit.

On an unrelated note, I do think that eventually bpong will have to switch to a longer table or add more cups. The reason not being leaning, but instead that people are just getting too good. If the top teams are shooting 70%, then first to make 10 cups isn’t the really the best indicator of which team is better. I don’t know exactly how to argue my point that only 10 cups isn’t a good indicator when teams are that good.

mikepop66

Taller people tend to haveless hand eye coordination and body coordination than the average person. This decreases the advantage a bit.

On an unrelated note, I do think that eventually bpong will have to switch to a longer table or add more cups. The reason not being leaning, but instead that people are just getting too good. If the top teams are shooting 70%, then first to make 10 cups isn’t the really the best indicator of which team is better. I don’t know exactly how to argue my point that only 10 cups isn’t a good indicator when teams are that good.

taller people have less handeye coordination than average people? this is an incredibly ignorant statement. aside from me being 6’6 or 6’7 and won the ws. have u watched pro sports ever in your life? all the tall people are the ones who are in the nba and every other sport. lebrons 6’8 kobes 6’7 mj 6’6. fucking yao ming is 7’6 and can dribble and shoot 3′s. dirk is 7 foot….but tall people arent coordinated?…. theres a reason why tall people are all over pro sports and the average people are just average.

defo

yo u short winers..do me a real quick favor an stand under a basketball rim for me..ill show u how uncoordinated i am for being tall lol oh an while ur down there lemme know how my nuts smell…umm no homo lol…u guys gotta get over this small mans complex shit

slowsen

taller people have less handeye coordination than average people? this is an incredibly ignorant statement. aside from me being 6’6 or 6’7 and won the ws. have u watched pro sports ever in your life? all the tall people are the ones who are in the nba and every other sport. lebrons 6’8 kobes 6’7 mj 6’6. fucking yao ming is 7’6 and can dribble and shoot 3′s. dirk is 7 foot….but tall people arent coordinated?…. theres a reason why tall people are all over pro sports and the average people are just average.

well kobe and Lebron are exceptions. They aren’t the rule. and what can any 6’10 or taller person in the NBA, the most elite league for basketball, do coordination-wise (meaning dribbling, accelerating, jumping, catching passes, etc..) that any 6’0 college player can’t do? Because on average, coordination diminishes with height.

mikepop66

coordination diminishes with height? are you a retard? do u see 6’0 people even make the nba. and ur 6’10 example doesnt work the mans name is Dirk and hes 7 feet tall and he can do w.e. why are there no short people like u in any sport? u wana compair a 6’10 pro which is heigh of a fwd to a 6’0 college player who would be a point guard it makes no sense…ur the minority in pro sports and beerpong actually. hence why every short guy complains about leaning and wishes they were taller instead shutting up since there so much more coordinated according to u and just shoot. yea my 6’6 frame made me so uncoordinated i won the wsobp go figure. ignorance

wianek

coordination diminishes with height? are you a retard? do u see 6’0 people even make the nba. and ur 6’10 example doesnt work the mans name is Dirk and hes 7 feet tall and he can do w.e. why are there no short people like u in any sport? u wana compair a 6’10 pro which is heigh of a fwd to a 6’0 college player who would be a point guard it makes no sense…ur the minority in pro sports and beerpong actually. hence why every short guy complains about leaning and wishes they were taller instead shutting up since there so much more coordinated according to u and just shoot. yea my 6’6 frame made me so uncoordinated i won the wsobp go figure. ignorance

Pop, you are wrong on this. Shorter people in general are more coordinated than taller people. You can’t cherry pick NBA players to prove your claim – the reason they are professional athletes is because they are more gifted / worked harder than average people. Yes, it is possible to be very tall and very coordinated, but it is not common place. If you are going to make claims about NBA players, take a look at how they compare to each other. Who on AVERAGE has better ball handling skills – the shorter players (say 6’6" and below) or the taller players? Why are point guards typically short?

And yes, you are 6’6" and obviously coordinated. But if you were to test average coordiantion levels between a group of 6’6" guys and a group of 6′ guys, I would bet the 6′ would easily win and the disprity would likely become greater with larger differences in height.

In any case, it doesn’t matter who is more coordinated – it’s not what was being discussed.

slowsen

I wasn’t trying to attack you or leaning. I’m only an inch shorter than you and I happen to be more coordinated than most people my height. I was just talking about averages and why people like you aren’t just good because you’re taller. Taller people also have bigger hands which hinders shooting as well.
    You won the world series, you are an outlier, not the norm. Dirk Nowitzki is 7’0 tall and can handle the ball like a guard and shoot like a guard. that makes him not only an outlier amongst average people but an outlier amongst the NBA as well.
    My point in that one sentence was that i was tired of everyone who says ‘well leaning sucks because tall people have such an advantage over short people and therefore the entire sport sucks because it’s unfair’

imunk0wn2u

Pop, unfortunately, they are correct. On the norm, taller people tend to be less coordinated just due to the size and length of limbs (theres some science behind it but damned if I remember exactly what it is). Comparing people in the NBA isn’t really fair. They are the elite, the top of the top, the special ones, and thats why they get paid millions to do what they do.

regardless, people need to stop bitching. If your short, just like everything else in life, adapt to it. Thats all I can say.

sfoster

frankly i’m surprised pop can even walk around properly with him being so tall and what not

bizness

good thing you dont have to dribble, catch and pass a pong ball lol

to put this whole argument quickly to rest, would you like to know who the top 2 NBA players of ALL TIME are in terms of Field Goal Percentage (which is the only likely comparison that actually matters)

Artis Gilmore – Height: 7’2
    Wilt Chamberlin – Height: 7’1

My guess is that besides natural skill and ability, the fact that they were both monsters, and closer to the rim, played to their advantage. I don’t know how coordination was even brought up but I dont think it really applies here, or matters, because at the end of the day all that matters is the % of shots that you make in defining yourself as a great player in both pong and basketball.

The major difference between the two sports is that in basketball players are shooting up at a basket while in pong players shoot downwards towards cups. Simple physics will tell you that height is an advantage in pong, not even so much for the horizontal leaning abilities of these players, but the vertical abilities that they have in the way that they are able to take advantage of the surface area of the cups, and have high percentage chances of making shots in. If you’re shorter you can still shoot balls at this trajectory but its not as natural and needs to be practiced. The part that everyones forgetting is no matter if your tall or short you still gotta shoot the ball, a tall guy can find a consistent shot the same way as a shorter guy, its all about natural ability plus how much you work at it, like anythin else in life.

cc91

good thing you dont have to dribble, catch and pass a pong ball lol

We should try to make pong involve dribbling….that way the shorter ppl will have a chance in the end lol

jhughes44

WSOBP 3 winners, Chauffering the Fat Kid. Maybe tallest kid is 5’9" or 5’10" – definately nothing above average (for guys at least).

We are actually both 6′ on the spot, however, I can see where you would make the mistake since we have perpetual leans. I’m not gonna lie, it gets awkward sometimes when I’m walking around corners headbutting people all day, but everyone seems to accept it since that’s what real men do.

Sidenote: I’m getting really sick of these tall people complaining about how it’s unfair that short people get to throw from the same distance since they’re more coordinated. Maybe we could have some sort of handicap for the short fellows out there. Perhaps a line 1" back for every 1" below 6′ a person is…

WSOBP 3 winners, Chauffering the Fat Kid. Maybe tallest kid is 5’9" or 5’10" – definately nothing above average (for guys at least).

We are actually both 6′ on the spot, however, I can see where you would make the mistake since we have perpetual leans. I’m not gonna lie, it gets awkward sometimes when I’m walking around corners headbutting people all day, but everyone seems to accept it since that’s what real men do.

Sidenote: I’m getting really sick of these tall people complaining about how it’s unfair that short people get to throw from the same distance since they’re more coordinated. Maybe we could have some sort of handicap for the short fellows out there. Perhaps a line 1" back for every 1" below 6′ a person is…

ur bs CFK isnt 6′

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook