(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Pong Bar yay or nay

This topic contains 77 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  jwillinger 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author

On this election day its important for your voice to be heard if you support pongbar or not. Skinny, please dont delete this thread, this is a pongocracy not a pongtatorship.

A simple yay or nay is fine, please keep opinions under 1 paragraph. Its time for Change!!!

sfoster

i vote 1 week suspension for jones! :haaw:

ihrtbp

Why do you say that?? Isnt O’Sheas a pong bar?? i mean they only have like what?? 8 tables?? But thats the closest thing we have to a Pong Bar right?? I would love to see more pong bars around the country wouldnt you?? You grab your bp buddies and everyone is like "Dude lets go hit up the pong bar tonight!!" I VOTE YAY FOR PONG BARS!!!

cc91

Why do you say that?? Isnt O’Sheas a pong bar?? i mean they only have like what?? 8 tables?? But thats the closest thing we have to a Pong Bar right?? I would love to see more pong bars around the country wouldnt you?? You grab your bp buddies and everyone is like "Dude lets go hit up the pong bar tonight!!" I VOTE YAY FOR PONG BARS!!!

haha….yaaaaa MORE PONG BARS! And since O’Sheas is right next to the flamingo, its almost as if the WSOBP SHOULD REVOLVE AROUND THE PONG BAR!!!

dsmpacttsi

i dont understand how he hasnt been suspended yet, i dont understand how he can go to a tournament without getting punchd in the face for this posting "pongbar" on everything like hes a damn pokemon or something.

cfresh

i dont understand how he hasnt been suspended yet, i dont understand how he can go to a tournament without getting punchd in the face for this posting "pongbar" on everything like hes a damn pokemon or something.

+1 fuck him and his pong bar

cc91

^ Amazing ….:roul:

clawless
    clawless

Win.

Win.

Not gunna lie, pretty damn funny.

Guess I’ll go back to the shadows, no pongbar talk till 2011.

GSP

dont bash me to hard…..

It would be in my best interest for things to stay as is, im not the greatest player with out a pong bar, so its not like its gonna help my game……BUT, I actually DO think that the pong bar is a good idea.

Clawless said in his thesis that the pong bar is a band-aid, i actually think all his suggestions of random partners, 3v3′s, etc.. are band-aids. These little gimmicks may work for a little bit but they certainly arent gonna make a huge differance, if any. These types of gimmicks i could see working in established pong communitys like MD as a change of pace but i defiantly dont see it bringing in new players. and as for educating the masses on the WSOBP rules…..this style of pong has been around for 5 years, players have been preaching these rules for 5 years, it converts players here and there, but for every 1 player that learns pong WSOBP style, there are 100, prolly more, who are learning the game with elbow rule (i dont have exact statistics, lol, but it sounds right).

When you throw a tournament with lean, you get non-leaners bitching, complaining, and usually dont come back. However i’ve seen tournaments where they place a taped line a foot behind the table and elbow players be ok with this. yes if you show up and od lean these players will go back to bitching, but i truly believe it would be EASIER to explain this and get them to understand/adapt to this as opposed to no pong bar with a straight up half way across the table leaning.

If i have a bar keeping a player 1 foot away from the table, and i explain that this is the best way we can enforce an "elbow" rule, i will have a much better chance of getting them to adapt to this, rather then, "elbow rule is gay, cant be enforced, lean as far as u want, bye".

Honestly, the only good argument against the pong bar is that we have been playing THIS way for 5 years now. Any other argument about how it wont solve anything, etc.., etc.., unless u have tried it out, you cant say that it’s not gonna solve anything. And dont get me wrong, im not saying IT WILL make a differnce. BUT I DO THINK ITS WORTH LOOKING INTO.

dsmpacttsi

i lean 3 feet across the table, what is a 1 foot bar going to do to get people from bitching??? so should we make a 3 foot "pongbar" (even bigger for some people)?

cc91

i lean 3 feet across the table, what is a 1 foot bar going to do to get people from bitching??? so should we make a 3 foot "pongbar" (even bigger for some people)?

OK…looks like this discussion is back from the dead…so ill repeat what i said before.

Yes, i think the pong bar will help the perception towards the OD lean. Ive heard the same that fresh302 wrote above, that kids that play elbow rule are much more open to the tape line (essentially what the pong bar will be) than they are to the way the game is playedby all of us.

Yes, more n more people are switching over to our rules, but its a small percentage, something needs to be done to get a greater majority….i think the # of teams that show up to this years WS will show whether or not such a change would b necessary (and beneficial).

ALso it is very different leanin 3-4-5 ft when u have a table to put ur weight up against…the way i see this pong bar bein, is that it would be between the floor to above your ankle….and attemptin to lean that far would be difficult.

I think before everyone dismisses it, it would be good to have a trial of it…and not just a 1 time thing, but at least 1-2 months to see if it brings ppl back n in greater numbers

ALso it is very different leanin 3-4-5 ft when u have a table to put ur weight up against…the way i see this pong bar bein, is that it would be between the floor to above your ankle….and attemptin to lean that far would be difficult.

Nah bro the bar is near the top of the table it would be somewhere around the thigh and waist. Also the foot distance isnt set in stone, it may be alittle less but not more. Past a certain distance due to the size of bpong cups it will make your shot unaimable. With the pongbar im still trying to keep the normal aim shot elite players have near perfected, but at the same time address perception and player contact with the cups

clawless
    clawless

I guess it really is back on the table for discussion. Here we go again.

The pong bar would only exist as something we could point at and say "look, that’s how we take care of the elbow issue!" to players who complain. I believe this argument will work as well as telling these same complainers that the tables we use are 8 feet long rather than the 6 feet tables people are used to playing on in elbow/house rule games. People who complain always find something to complain about.

The next problem has to do with the equipment itself. You can’t expect local organizers to replace their entire inventory at this stage of the game’s development. With pong already in crisis (as seems to be generally agreed upon), then forcing these small companies to purchase additional supplies so that they are in compliance with BPong may actually force some of them to toss in the towel. This is especially true if the WPT gets wind of this discontent, and they keep their current rules. If that happens, then organizers have a real choice: 1. Change along with BPong, meaning a huge additional investment in inventory, or 2. Adhere to WPT rules, and continue with what they already have. This would ultimately be bad for the game, as there just aren’t enough players as it is to support two completely separate formats (as it is, it is easy to transition between WSOBP and AC rules, but if the pongbar is added, that transition is no long easy). Looked at in this light, to implement the pongbar is actually a risk to everything that we have built so far.

Finally, we have to consider the "problem" that the pongbar is attempting to correct, the perception of the lean as a bad thing. I want to again state that the number of players who have this perception shrinks every single year the WSOBP is put on. I believe our goal should not be on addressing the complainers, but rather on accelerating the depreciation in the number of complainers that exist, ie. marketing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook