(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Pong Bar yay or nay

This topic contains 77 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  jwillinger 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

ratmandu1

Everyone talks about the growth of the sport but it has less to do with the equipment and more to do with the players. People say that the elites ruin the game because people go 0-2 and don’t come back but its more the attitude of the elites. If these people go 0-2 or 5-2 it doesn’t matter if they don’t have a good time they won’t go back. Most satellites and even the World Series itself you generally only see the top players hanging around with other top players. They beat the lesser teams by a large number and cast them aside. Maybe if people were a bit friendlier by having a beer with the lesser players and making a connection with them they wouldn’t leave and would hang out to cheer you on and see how exciting competitive pong can be.
    Some guys come to the world series as the only people from the area, and don’t have the number of friends to hang with like Maryland Cal or Ny and then if they don’t do well theres no reason to come back. So even if they wear costumes or lose by 9 cups take the time to get these people to have a good time. Have a drink, do a shot, gangbang a hooker something so these people feel they have friends at the world series and want to keep coming back.
    That’s just my 2 cents which may be all its worth.

dwissbrun2

Everyone talks about the growth of the sport but it has less to do with the equipment and more to do with the players. People say that the elites ruin the game because people go 0-2 and don’t come back but its more the attitude of the elites. If these people go 0-2 or 5-2 it doesn’t matter if they don’t have a good time they won’t go back. Most satellites and even the World Series itself you generally only see the top players hanging around with other top players. They beat the lesser teams by a large number and cast them aside. Maybe if people were a bit friendlier by having a beer with the lesser players and making a connection with them they wouldn’t leave and would hang out to cheer you on and see how exciting competitive pong can be.
    Some guys come to the world series as the only people from the area, and don’t have the number of friends to hang with like Maryland Cal or Ny and then if they don’t do well theres no reason to come back. So even if they wear costumes or lose by 9 cups take the time to get these people to have a good time. Have a drink, do a shot, gangbang a hooker something so these people feel they have friends at the world series and want to keep coming back.

i don’t think it’s a case of "elites" vs. "newbies" at the wsobp. more like there are just a lot of people who have gotten to know eachother over years of playing. i wouldn’t expect anyone to go out of their way to be nice or hang out with newbies at the world series, however it would be nice if everyone could remember not to be a douche to people who are different, or not good at pong. my experience has always been that everyone at the wsobp has been pretty cool. there’s always enough newbies each year that they can make friends amongst themselves if old-timers don’t pay attention to them.

at satellites, i agree that "veterans" should take a little more time to interact with newbies. a satellite generally has a much smaller crowd, and doesn’t have the same atmosphere as the world series. though i typically know a lot of people at any satellite i attend, whenever presented the opportunity i do talk to people i don’t recognize…. and a lot of the time it’s as easy as just telling them about how cool the wsobp is and the people i’ve met through playing beerpong.

i don’t think anybody should be held accountable for not trying to make new friends, just don’t give people a hard time unless they start shit with you.

jwillinger

That’s really not true at all, at least in my experience. I went to the WSOBP last year for my first time and I ended up making friends with a few of the bigger name players there just hanging around and bs’ing. We made it to day 3 and even won a few games but we flat out can’t compete with the top players because we just don’t have the time to play and practice like them. Basically for us going to the WSOBP, even though we can play a little bit we know we are just basically donating money. I had a great time and pretty much everybody I met there was cool, even the top guys. I honestly don’t know how I feel about this pongbar because the guys that are good now are going to be good anyway. Nobody can win the WSOBP without practicing, whether there is a pongbar or not. I’m obviously not as good as the top players but maybe if I had the time to play in tournaments and practice every weekend my partner and I could have a more realistic shot at competing. But I think for most people, its just not possible with work or other commitments. I wish I could just play beer pong to pay the bills but its not gonna happen. I mean, we didn’t even shoot well, slept through a game and still made it to day 3. But making it to day 3 and actually winning money aren’t even in the same ballpark. Bottom line is, you can have a great time at the World Series if you’re not a douche bag. None of the top guys I met took themselves too seriously.

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook