(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Proper strategy on this variation discussion

Home Page – Flat Forums General Beer Pong Discussion Proper strategy on this variation discussion

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by clawless clawless 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ok so I know this doesnt go along with the WSOBP rules as its a house rules question. That being said I can think of no better place to ask this source of all things beer pong related.

After previewing this I realize there is way too much thought put into but for a purely strategical point of view I would like some input.

Here’s the scenario. So this is a house rules tournament that runs weekly and its been slowly building and building from about 4 teams to about 20 teams weekly.

-10 cups
    -2 re-racks but only chosen before the round (assuming balls arent brought back)
    -balls are only brought back if they are made in the same cup and the ball must stay.

The other rules are pretty typical and dont really matter that much to the strategy portion of this question.

So i’m wondering what would be the proper way to play this style when it comes to trying to get the balls back. My teammate and I have made the final four almost every week but we always get into disagreements what we should do in certain situations. The regulars in this tournament are decently skilled but I would say the percentage of balls back are relatively low considering most times when someone does make one the other team usually misses going for the same cup OR it hits the ball and bounces out.

I have argued that especially in late game scenarios its actually better to not go for the same cup if you feel like you have a higher percentage of both making a cup and removing it from the table. The reason for this is because more than a few times when my teammate are in this situation I have hit the ball in the cup and it bounces out and I feel like I’ve wasted a shot when I could easily drained another one. With this lower quality of competition it seems better to remove two to either take the momentum away or affect them emotionally.

TL;DR / cliffs

Beer pong wannbe pro needs advice on meaningless situation.

mikevit

It depends on what happens when you make 2 in the same cup. Is another cup in addition to the one that was double bagged removed?

Also, are rollbacks unlimited?

If the answer is no, there would be almost no situations where going for a roll back is beneficial.

If the answer is yes, I would still say it is probably in your best interest to aim for separate cups.

It depends on what happens when you make 2 in the same cup. Is another cup in addition to the one that was double bagged removed?

Also, are rollbacks unlimited?

If the answer is no, there would be almost no situations where going for a roll back is beneficial.

If the answer is yes, I would still say it is probably in your best interest to aim for separate cups.

Thanks for the response.

I should have clarified, if you make one in the same cup (that the ball is already in) one additional cup is removed so two cups total, however its the other team that chooses the cup thats removed.

Yes, unlimited roll backs.

One thing I"ll add but it might be just splitting hairs, when there are a lot of cups I have seen quite a few situations where when a ball is made and the second turn hits the ball in the cup it pops out and falls into another cup, but I think the percentage of times this happens is like once every 3 games.

danwise

I have and would aim for the hit cup each and every time. I’d say from personal experience the ball bouncing out of the cup doesn’t happen often enough to make going for the rollbacks the clear value play.

clawless
    clawless

I guess it depends on what kind of cups you use. If you use bigger cups (red solo), then it would never make sense to not go for the same cup. The advantage is too big, especially if you get unlimited rollbacks. With smaller cups (BPong), I could see the argument since the ball is much more likely to bounce off the made ball and out of the cup. In the end I think I still go for same cup, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook