(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

The growing trend of crossing the plane

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates The growing trend of crossing the plane

This topic contains 92 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  dgkrowdy 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author

jeffbarnes

So how about we discuss something other than leaning?

One thing I’ve noticed that seems to be happening more and more is the crossing of the plane of table while attempting to distract the other team. I noticed it happening a lot in Atlantic City and it seems to be happening more and more with certain people.

Take this video for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z05pCbX8x2Y

Count how many times Reap crosses the table. Now I don’t care what people say or do but I think that should be a clear rule that you are simply NOT ALLOWED to cross the plane of the table. It’s one thing if it’s the final table and there’s a lot of open room but I think it’s bush league to do what Reap does. And I am singling him out because he is the worst offender I have seen (I’ve seen multiple fights almost break up as a result) but more and more people seem to be doing it.

Ironically enough, like the elbow rule, it is probably impossible to enforce. I am just getting tired of seeing it.

dgkrowdy

Fact.

He was asked a few times by the people running the tourney in Ft Wayne IN to stop. It pisses me off sometimes but its not a huge deal to me, we’ve all done it a few times here and there. But Reap does do it big.

cytogrinder

One thing I’ve noticed that seems to be happening more and more is the crossing of the plane of table while attempting to distract the other team. I noticed it happening a lot in Atlantic City and it seems to be happening more and more with certain people.

Count how many times Reap crosses the table. Now I don’t care what people say or do but I think that should be a clear rule that you are simply NOT ALLOWED to cross the plane of the table. It’s one thing if it’s the final table and there’s a lot of open room but I think it’s bush league to do what Reap does. And I am singling him out because he is the worst offender I have seen (I’ve seen multiple fights almost break up as a result) but more and more people seem to be doing it.

Ironically enough, like the elbow rule, it is probably impossible to enforce. I am just getting tired of seeing it.

I totally agree… and it’s really effin annoying!! Very amateur. I will say a close 2nd is having the other team’s horde of followers screaming in your ear behind you. That’s lots of fun too!

drellis123

I agree and wish it was enforced. People know what they are doing and its not by accident. Especially in Reaps case.

dub

Why even make it a rule if it’s never going to be enforced? Seems absurd to me.

AHAAHAHAHAHAH- Before i literally read one word of this post and saw the link you posted I knew it was REAP….aHAHAAHAHAHAHh the most notorious plane crosser there is…. I played with him in the DOE tourney and now i find myself doing the same thing!

jhughes44

I used to ignore this and try to be the bigger man, but after we got knocked out of the WSOBP II on a ridiculous rule violation, I started calling people on this shit. If you don’t, someone else will.

If you cross the plane while I am attempting to shoot, I will give you one warning. If you attempt it again, I will proceed to get a ref and have he/she watch the distraction while I shoot. If the person crosses the plane, pull a cup. It’s in the rules. That’s it.

skinny

In the past, I hadn’t really seen this as a major problem, but it’s clearly gotten out of control.

First of all, I think this behavior is completely bullshit, and completely unsportsmanlike. I would think that someone like Reap would have more respect for the ideals of the game, but clearly not. It shouldn’t even come to this, but we will figure out a way to enforce this this year. I’m not quite sure what the protocol is, but something like what Fat Kid is saying makes sense: you warn your opponent once, and if they do it again, you bring in a ref.

dwissbrun2

totally agree with everyone on this.

about a month ago i called a guy out on this… he stopped going over the plane… but after we beat him he cheap shotted a shoulder into my jaw. shit’s weak, all around. his was way worse than that video though, him and his partner’s hands and arms over the table and across the plane.

mikevit

In the past, I hadn’t really seen this as a major problem, but it’s clearly gotten out of control.

First of all, I think this behavior is completely bullshit, and completely unsportsmanlike.

FACT… accidental is one thing, but when people do it on purpose it is just a dick move and it interrupts the game.

I would think that someone like Reap would have more respect for the ideals of the game, but clearly not.

LOL… Why would you expect REAP of all people to even remotely sportsmanlike. Generally speaking, his behavior at tournaments is deplorable at best from what i have seen.

dwissbrun2

I’m not quite sure what the protocol is

i’ve been in favor for a while to have event runners be more proactive about talking about the more controversial rules during their final announcements before a tourney starts. things that i would cover are: 1 ball to start the game, leaning is allowed, 1 ball rollback, re-racks, and crossing the plane. if you went over those things it might make things smoother. b/c seriously, at satellites newbies really don’t read the rules, and there are enough at the wsobp who don’t either.

i didn’t make it to openning ceremonies this year at wsobp, but if those things weren’t mentioned, i think it might be a good idea to do. it certainly can’t hurt, of course there will always be people who don’t pay attention, but if it prevents only a few disputes then it’s worth it.

imunk0wn2u

What in the world will Kessler do then lol. Hopefully it’s not like the WBPT where rules are only enforced to certain people (i.e. rules being enforced to nobodys while the "big names" are allowed to do what they want). I watched a game where someone was playing Ron and Deep and the other team’s crew was yelling and cheering and trying to get Ron and Deep to miss and were told to stop. But obviously when it was reversed, nothing was said…

Regardless, there are some people that it gets out of line and I think Kessler is only a violator when he’s half in the bag and doesn’t even realize he’s at a pong tournament lol

prusch

the most notorious plane crosser there is….

I’ve only played Deep a couple times – but he gets an honorable mention.

The bs thing about any such rule is when you need to interrupt your routine to tell some clown to stay behind the table. All these guys know that… it’s a no lose situation, and I’m not sure there are any good suggestions as to how to stop it.

jeffbarnes

All these guys know that… it’s a no lose situation, and I’m not sure there are any good suggestions as to how to stop it.

Perfect example of why there is no elbow rule

What in the world will Kessler do then lol. Hopefully it’s not like the WBPT where rules are only enforced to certain people (i.e. rules being enforced to nobodys while the "big names" are allowed to do what they want). I watched a game where someone was playing Ron and Deep and the other team’s crew was yelling and cheering and trying to get Ron and Deep to miss and were told to stop. But obviously when it was reversed, nothing was said…

Regardless, there are some people that it gets out of line and I think Kessler is only a violator when he’s half in the bag and doesn’t even realize he’s at a pong tournament lol

Yeah I was onr of those ppl on the rail. It was bullshit. I think deep even agreed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook