(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

The growing trend of crossing the plane

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates The growing trend of crossing the plane

This topic contains 92 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  dgkrowdy 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author

cc91

Once again i guess im in the minority here but i dont care what you do behind and on the side as long as my immediate view is not blocked…i dunno when this became such a big deal, who the hell cares, its fun and its the only defense that you have.

I agree with you buddy…i dont know when it became such a big deal, this thread is pretty ridiculous, it started off as a Reap bashing, and now its snowballing into a big complaint thread about ppl BREACHIN rules.

There is no way u can stop ppl from crossing the plane, its just like an elbow rule…its all up to opinion. And in the event u call a staff member over while im infringin upon the rule, is he gonna make me pull a cup if im abit over the line? I think thats pretty rediculous…..i dont see this rule being enforced unless someone is blatantly crossing the plane. And even that, like i said before, i cross the majority of the time wen its MY teams turn to go….are u gonna go cry and call a ref over cuz of that? Be serious.

On that note….im gonna keep crossing the plane, and i hope others do too. At least now im gonna have refereed games in vegas for as long as i play! :D

Once again i guess im in the minority here but i dont care what you do behind and on the side as long as my immediate view is not blocked…i dunno when this became such a big deal, who the hell cares, its fun and its the only defense that you have.

I agree with you buddy…i dont know when it became such a big deal, this thread is pretty ridiculous, it started off as a Reap bashing, and now its snowballing into a big complaint thread about ppl BREACHIN rules.

There is no way u can stop ppl from crossing the plane, its just like an elbow rule…its all up to opinion. And in the event u call a staff member over while im infringin upon the rule, is he gonna make me pull a cup if im abit over the line? I think thats pretty rediculous…..i dont see this rule being enforced unless someone is blatantly crossing the plane. And even that, like i said before, i cross the majority of the time wen its MY teams turn to go….are u gonna go cry and call a ref over cuz of that? Be serious.

On that note….im gonna keep crossing the plane, and i hope others do too. At least now im gonna have refereed games in vegas for as long as i play! :D

+1, if Deep want to take a sip of his drink while ur shooting he’s gunna, your gunna have to deal with it, its like asking someone not to breathe.

However, ive been developing a special cupholder that attaches to the pong bar. Problem solved

clawless
    clawless

+1, if Deep want to take a sip of his drink while ur shooting he’s gunna, your gunna have to deal with it, its like asking someone not to breathe.

I don’t think it’s too difficult to hold onto a drink during your opponent’s shot, rather than having to reach across the table to grab it during every shot (yah, this is angle shooting, and happens way too often).

Of course the people who don’t think it’s a big deal are the same people who are violators. A rule is a rule. It’s like if I didn’t think it was a big deal to put a hand on the table to help me lean across. What if I did that and when you complained I just said, "What, get a ref, I don’t care."

Just so we’re clear, I’m not talking about people who cross the plane by an inch or two by accident when distracting, I’m talking about the people who are obviously passed the plane by half a foot or more and over the cups, intentionally breaking the rule to get an edge.

Follow the damn rules and win fairly.

GSP

i agree that there isn’t a clear cut way to enforce this rule, but i think there is an easy way to deter players from crossing the plane. i dont know how the ref situation is at the WSOBP, but if the refs were to consitantly walk the tables watching games and if they happen to see a player cross the plane while the other team is shooting, they walk over and remove a cup. if the word gets out that refs are walking the tables and actually enforcing this rule, i bet players would be more carefull not to violate it.

By the way the refs should know the rules pretty well and walk the tables to make sure ALL rules are being enforced not just the crossing the plane rule. im not talking about anything hardcore….the refs just walk around observing games and if they see someone violate a rule, they step in.

topsecret

This is definitely an issue all across beer pong tables nation wide. It would be correct in saying its HARD to enforce, but it can be managed. I believe it is the players duty to call and address this issue at the table when you are playing. even though you may seem like a dick and most will get mad it is up to you. People just need to speak up. I as of many people have played countless tournaments and tournament play games. I at first was hesitant to say something, but i realized. Fuckn shit dude its in the fuckin rules. ….."Hey bro quit crossing the fucking plain of the table thats not allowed." their response of course will be no they are not. so what you do watch them from the spectators point of view. then bam call it out on them and refuse to continue the game until the problem is resolved. yes it seems childish and they might say your being a cry baby. BUT its in the fuckin rules they will lose the argument and be forced to change their shot. someone once told me i am just mad cuz they are making cups. i told them the only reason they are making cups is because they are violating the crossing plain rule. which does make it a shitload easier. Look people its just like the elbow rule in a party game. YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING. If everybody were to do this, this occurnace would happen less frequently. Let me put it this way. You will yell at the other team make fun of their momma, and do and say fucked up shit to make them miss, but you wont tell those fuckers to get behind the table while they are shootin? If your playin for fun its one thing, if your there for money shit man, know your rules and use em…. if you would like to get technical on their ass just simply say "In Section 5 F-2 it is stated- Players may not edge themselves around the table when they throw. " and leave it at that if you are playing WSOBP Rules that is how it goes.

Wanna know another issue that personally pisses me off Section 5 F-4.

People break that rule ALL THE TIME.

ooly86

Okay, well that last post was way off topic but my thing is this: As long as you’re not over the cups, I don’t have a problem with it. However, with all the shit talking and all the energy that gets going in a good pong game, it’s in everyone’s best interest to stay behind your cups. As far as that Kessler and Deep video goes, I wanted to hit that guy for you. Don’t talk the best shit you can think of and then get right in somebody’s face, that’s just a recipe for getting people thrown out of tournaments over a stupid fight. I respect the plane rule, because it keeps pepole from pulling that stupid house party bullshit of blocking line of sight to the cups, but minor violations don’t bother me. It’s only when you start to get close to my half of the table that I start to have a real problem with it.

cc91

TopSecret you’re way off buddy, this thread is about people (like myself) breaking the plane while the other team is shooting…not about ppl who edge around the side of the table while shooting.

Ooly, i am that guy, i am Captain Canada….and thats why i act the way i act….i want that kind of reaction, and im glad that i am gettin it! :roul: That game was a poorly shot game, but it was one of the more fun games ive played in simply for the reason of eveyrone (minus Chris) being in each others face. There was 0 beef, both teams shook hands right after the game and it was all good. And i think thats whats missing from pong, everyones bothered by lil things like that and ppl take things (and themselves) too seriously. Lets all just stand behind the tables and take turns shooting back n forth, no shit-talk, no nothign….pong sure would be exciting then!

One way to stop the plane crossing would be to cut out drinking from pong and have sobriety tests, because i know the reason players like myself do what we do is because were borderline blackout drunk. Like i vaguely remembered playin that game (and most of the other games) in vegas, and trust me wen i say, im not as wild wen im not hammered….so theres a solution.

Another solution would be to implement the Mike Jones Pong Bar….and evolve it to a point where it connects all the tables together, that way there will be a physical barrier stopping ppl from crossing the plane! 2 Possible solutions right there!

Ooly, i am that guy, i am Captain Canada….
    One way to stop the plane crossing would be to cut out drinking from pong and have sobriety tests

Blasphemer!!! I can’t believe a Canadian could even SUGGEST that, even joking. You may as well have suggested banning hockey. My Canadian wife would lose her mind if she read that!!
    :ir:

topsecret

Lol i do have to apologize about my last post. i was a lil drunk when i wrote that i was quickly reading through and thought the discussion was people edgin around the table. People shooting on the outside of the table, and leaning in is what i was talkn about.

dwissbrun2

everyones bothered by lil things like that and ppl take things (and themselves) too seriously

paul – you’re a fun guy to hang out with, but you’re missing the point on this one.

you may not care if someone is at the middle of the table screaming at you while you shoot, but other people don’t like it. there happens to be a rule that says you can’t do that… and if a team wants you to abide by the rule then you need to do that.

by your logic… i could say that shooting me with a water gun while i’m shooting a pong ball doesn’t bother me, and it makes the game more fun… hence i should be able shoot water at whoever i play against. obviously that’s rediculous… and so is you trying to argue what you’re arguing.

the simple fact is this: no one should be crossing the plane over the table or cups EVER when someone is in the act of shooting. regardless of getting a drink, doing distractions, or whatever else you may think you need to accomplish. crossing the plane on either side of the table is whatever – as long as you aren’t intentionally going like 2 feet or lundging towards somebody, it should be ok and have no effect on someone’s shot. i doubt anybody will call you out for an arm breaking the plane off one of the sides of the table.

as for everybody else… all of you want to be known as "superstars" or "pros"… and get your respect. then act like it, and follow the rules. set some kind of good example for all the wanna-be’s out there. including making introductions, shaking hands, and showing respect before/after games. during a game scream and bs all you want – it’s the game – but follow the rules and in the end show respect to your opponents.

nobody’s saying take the fun out of the game, they’re just saying don’t put your opponents at an unfair disadvantage by going over the cups or getting in their face.

cc91

Mr. Hersh, i was out of line for suggesting such a thing haha

the simple fact is this: no one should be crossing the plane over the table or cups EVER when someone is in the act of shooting.

Dave i get your point, my question to you is…why cant i cross the plane when my team is shooting? Asides from the video vs Kessler n Deep, I usually cross the plane when my team is shooting….hell ive even gone on the other side of the table to try n distract my partner as a joke (Chris n Lester could attest to that)…so my question is, whats the harm in it other than making a game take longer? Im in no way interfering with anyones shot, if anyting i might b bothering my partner while he shoots.

And yes, i think it would be more fun if there were water gun distractions…it would make bpong more like BASEketball lol

dwissbrun2

Dave i get your point, my question to you is…why cant i cross the plane when my team is shooting? Asides from the video vs Kessler n Deep, I usually cross the plane when my team is shooting….hell ive even gone on the other side of the table to try n distract my partner as a joke (Chris n Lester could attest to that)…so my question is, whats the harm in it other than making a game take longer? Im in no way interfering with anyones shot, if anyting i might b bothering my partner while he shoots.

if you are really going to the other side, while your partner is shooting, then you may be blocking your opponents’ view of your partner shooting and/or could get in the way of someone playing defense on his shot. either of which would certainly be a method for cheating. in no way do i think that would be your intent (to cheat), however the end result could mean that someone isn’t able to defend a shot that they otherwise could have… if you weren’t there. that’s really the only scenario i can think of.

however, i don’t see any reason why you couldn’t get to like half way at the table while he’s shooting. i’ve done that in bars where there isn’t much room on my end, and i’m trying to give my partner space to shoot.

i think that if you’re behind the plane while your opponents shoot, and on your half of the table at all other times, no one is going to have a problem, nor will you put them at a disadvantage.

and i’m pretty certain the rules only apply to when your opponents are shooting

Players may not cross the plane of play (the imaginary plane which runs vertically and separates you from your cups) with any part of their bodies, clothing, or other objects, while the other team is shooting. To avoid violating this rule, just stand back a few feet from your cups.

And yes, i think it would be more fun if there were water gun distractions…it would make bpong more like BASEketball lol

it would certainly be entertaining to do or watch. lol

dub

It’s odd that some people are sticklers for some rules, but don’t give a fuck about other rules. I’ve never called anyone out on anything or grabbed a ref, but it’s been done to me on occasion in Vegas. I know that when it’s happened to me, it’s fucking pissed me off, and I play really horribly when I’m mad.

Once again, the problem people have isn’t with people that are a few inches over the plane or slightly on the side of the table, it’s the guys who go all the way to the middle of the table or even further. Once again, in prelims this would be tough to enforce, but when we get down to the final few games, it’s up to the BPONG guys to police it. Just look at the finals of WSIII (I refuse to) and look at CFK’s feet. The rule that year was both feet need to be on the ground, but it wasn’t enforced, clearly. This is not a knock on CFK at all, it’s just an example of what happens.

Shit talk is, and always will be a part of the game, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I’ve actually seen cocksuckers go to the other end of the table and yell in people’s ears as they shoot. That’s fucking absurd. It’s really no different than John Q Scrub who has never made day 3 who just goes and stands behind you and yells in your ear the whole time from the sidelines, though.

At the end of the day, if it’s a cup, I’ll take my cup if the plane is crossed. I had to let someone re-shoot a last cup cause they claimed it moved slightly as they shot in round 2 of day 3 this past WS. If it moved at all, it was cause the table was bumped, not cause i hit it. But I couldn’t prove it didn’t move, so they got a re-shoot. Rules are rules. One can’t be followed while others aren’t. If they need to be changed, then change them accordingly.

dwissbrun2

and my last thought on the subject… kinda

we all run into bullshit that’s out of our control, whether it’s at a small/tight bar… or the wsobp

things that happen include:
    people falling into your table or you
    idiots doing distractions and ending up in your playing space, or hitting you
    random pong balls flying into you b/c someone swatted it
    people shaking hands between the tables after a game has finished
    people crawling under your table to grab a ball
    people throwing a ball across your table to get it back to the rightful owners
    dudes that just can’t seem to stay next to their table and end up in your way while shooting
    etc, etc, blah, blah, blah

all of this shit is annoying… and for the most part it will all happen no matter what you do or what rules you put in place.

it is however up to each pong player to try and do his best to respect those around him, and his opponents, so that everyone has a good time and a fair chance at 1st place. those of us who have been around for a long time are the ones responsible for passing this on to newbies, and setting a good example.

cc91

Dave, only reason i do it is to get up close n personal when im talking shit. Ive never thought about doing it to block ppl out while my partner shoots…..but now that u mention it….:B

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook