(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

The growing trend of crossing the plane

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates The growing trend of crossing the plane

This topic contains 92 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  dgkrowdy 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author

dwissbrun2

Dave, only reason i do it is to get up close n personal when im talking shit. Ive never thought about doing it to block ppl out while my partner shoots…..but now that u mention it….:B

anything i can do to help bro :roul:

sfoster

i’ve always been a little confused by this.

if i stand behind the table, with my toes past the bar underneath at the bottom, am I breaking the plane of the table?

What if i stick my arm out in front of me while I stand 6 feet to the left? 2 feet to the left?
    The plane of the table is a definition that seems to change depending on whom you ask.

it also sometimes confuses me to use whom, but hopefully i got it right

austin

i’ve always been a little confused by this.

if i stand behind the table, with my toes past the bar underneath at the bottom, am I breaking the plane of the table?

What if i stick my arm out in front of me while I stand 6 feet to the left? 2 feet to the left?
    The plane of the table is a definition that seems to change depending on whom you ask.

it also sometimes confuses me to use whom, but hopefully i got it right

I define the plane of the table as the 8×2 rectangle starting from the top of the table and everything above that. So basically anything over the table. I guess technically that isn’t a plane but whatever.

dwissbrun2

I define the plane of the table as the 8×2 rectangle starting from the top of the table and everything above that. So basically anything over the table. I guess technically that isn’t a plane but whatever.

basically that’s how i’ve always seen it too.

technically the rules don’t say anything about what you do around the table. but it seems like the spirit of the rules are to stay behind your side while your opponents are shooting.

if somebody is standing next to the table, on their side, and not doing anything then i have zero problem with that. it’s when they’re trying to inch closer to me in order to distract or do other antics that i see it as bs.

if you want to distract just stay behind your side and no one should have a problem with it…

sfoster

same here but that is not how other people (like kessler) seem to define it

cfresh

Its pretty clear cut…..Its the back line. (SEPERATES YOU FROM THE CUPS)

a.Players may not cross the plane of play (the imaginary plane which runs vertically and separates you from your cups) with any part of their bodies, clothing, or other objects, while the other team is shooting. To avoid violating this rule, just stand back a few feet from your cups.

cc91

Its pretty clear cut…..Its the back line. (SEPERATES YOU FROM THE CUPS)

a.Players may not cross the plane of play (the imaginary plane which runs vertically and separates you from your cups) with any part of their bodies, clothing, or other objects, while the other team is shooting. To avoid violating this rule, just stand back a few feet from your cups.

So as i understand it…correct me if im wrong…this rule is basically saying that we cannot cover the cups or interfere with the opponents visual of the cups? So although it may a dick move, but sticking ur arms/legs/wtv out alongside of the table is fair game?

Also since the "pick up your drink while the opponent is shooting" move has been brought up…if u reach in from the side of the table from a point above your top cup…isnt that fair game as well?? (This is a genuine question….not tryin to be a dick)

mikevit

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to ask if what you are doing is "legal," it probably isn’t.

sauce1

The way it was always explained to me and the way I play which I believe is the right way — The back plane of the table (the edge where the 4 cups rest in a 10 cup pyramid) has an imaginary line that extends left to right. ( runs parallel to table) There also an imaginary line that runs from the floor to the ceiling.
    You are not allowed to cross over that line/plane while the other team is shooting.

What Foster is referring to is when I first went down to MD a lot of the players would stand of to the side of the table ( Carlton Banks) being the most aggressive ones and stand at about the mid way point of the table and clap and yell. Obviously I am not oppossed to the yelling and clapping because I do that all the time. Our rules were contradictive as Sean pointed out b/c I played you needed to be behind the back line. They played the table itself (8×2) area was the line. I think a lot of the players adjusted since then.

GSP

So as i understand it…correct me if im wrong…this rule is basically saying that we cannot cover the cups or interfere with the opponents visual of the cups? So although it may a dick move, but sticking ur arms/legs/wtv out alongside of the table is fair game?

Also since the "pick up your drink while the opponent is shooting" move has been brought up…if u reach in from the side of the table from a point above your top cup…isnt that fair game as well?? (This is a genuine question….not tryin to be a dick)

I agree, technically It seems as tho there shouldn’t be anything wrong with raising ur leg or stickin ur arm out from the side of table according to the ruled.

However, u r not allowed to cross the plane of play, and even if you were to reach from the side, as soon as u grabbed your drink a pat of ur hand would be crossing that plane.

However, u r not allowed to cross the plane of play, and even if you were to reach from the side, as soon as u grabbed your drink a pat of ur hand would be crossing that plane.

Im sorry, no ones gunna take my god given right to drank my drank

cc91

Im sorry, no ones gunna take my god given right to drank my drank

Hahaha…+1

cc91

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to ask if what you are doing is "legal," it probably isn’t.

Im only asking because clearly there are some grey areas, as mentioned above, some ppl think the plane is the 8×2 area above the table….others choose to just lay low and stay behind the imaginary line that runs alongside all the edges of the table. Im looking for the answer on what is right

sfoster

thats really great but i’m trying to avoid generalized speculation right now..
    i was asking for clarity

sfoster

i consider the "plane" of the table to be if i had a quarter in my hand and dropped it, if the quarter were to hit the table as it dropped then my hand was over the plane of the table

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook