(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Tracking Stats at WSOBP IV

Home Page – Flat Forums The World Series of Beer Pong Tracking Stats at WSOBP IV

This topic contains 40 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by clawless clawless 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

austin

Taking stats is definitely a little time consuming mid-game, and it can be a little distracting. (no one has mentioned the need to be present to knock away that rare straight up bounce off the front of a cup, which you can’t do if someone is shooting while you’re marking a tallysheet).

However, a note to those that have never actually played competitively while taking stats – it can be helpful to have that stat sheet stare you down after every turn. It makes you internalize those 2-3 turn stretches of misses, helping you concentrate. (so I’ve heard…. I shoot 93% so never have missed more than 1 in a row. Another benefit to stat taking – it’s humbling. Before I took stats I thought I was a 97% shooter. After taking stats for the last 15 years, I’ve realized I’m only 93%)

Regardless – I think it might be hard to convince everyone that it’s not that hard and only takes .13412 seconds to mark a tally. Especially since most players at the WSOBP aren’t serious enough to post on here, and even the serious players are showing a lack of interest. Personally – I think it would be effing amazing to have shot stats for the best teams from around, and all from the same event. Cup differential is ok as a stat, but doesn’t say much. Smashing Time’s 12 game 55 cup differential was impressive, but I think it’d be more so to see how they shot each of those games.

Maybe it’s the sort of thing that volunteers could take for the final day. All you need is 1 person per table. I wouldn’t mind sitting in for scientific advancement for an hour or two if I wasn’t playing, but I probably care to look at such details more than the average person.

I agree with Peter in 99% of what he said (I’m still not sold on the 93% shooting percentage).

To have the players do it wouldn’t work in my opinion.
    Maybe if you had someway of keeping stats on your cell phone.

Having volunteers track the shots for the final tournament makes the most sense to me.

wianek

i was talking to a buddy of mine about this yesterday and he was saying he would be willing to track stats for other teams in between his own games if he could get a discounted entry fee into the event.

skinny, have you guys considered that?

i think it would be cool if you had a few (3-4) featured tables that had stat keepers and video footage at all times.

j0schm03

I think this would be the best to just keep track of cups hit by each player.

In our league we did this with very minimal distraction by doing this. If the player on the right hits then we pull that cup and place it on the right side of the table, and vice versa. At the end of the game you can see how many cups you hit easily and it takes no thought pretty much.

I don’t wanna keep track of misses and all that though, it definitely is a distraction.

prusch

Keeping track of misses is the only real way for the hits to be meaningful. I say it’s pretty much a waste if all you have is hits without # of attempts

sfoster

I agree with peter.

Also I want to add that its useless to note how many cups more you hit than your partner (in particular with the WSOBP rules)

Perhaps it would be meaningful with 0 or 2 balls back, but because you’re only getting 1 extra shot you’re automatically letting one teammate shoot more than the other.

mehoolio

Taking stats is definitely a little time consuming mid-game, and it can be a little distracting. (no one has mentioned the need to be present to knock away that rare straight up bounce off the front of a cup, which you can’t do if someone is shooting while you’re marking a tallysheet).

However, a note to those that have never actually played competitively while taking stats – it can be helpful to have that stat sheet stare you down after every turn. It makes you internalize those 2-3 turn stretches of misses, helping you concentrate. (so I’ve heard…. I shoot 93% so never have missed more than 1 in a row. Another benefit to stat taking – it’s humbling. Before I took stats I thought I was a 97% shooter. After taking stats for the last 15 years, I’ve realized I’m only 93%)

Regardless – I think it might be hard to convince everyone that it’s not that hard and only takes .13412 seconds to mark a tally. Especially since most players at the WSOBP aren’t serious enough to post on here, and even the serious players are showing a lack of interest. Personally – I think it would be effing amazing to have shot stats for the best teams from around, and all from the same event. Cup differential is ok as a stat, but doesn’t say much. Smashing Time’s 12 game 55 cup differential was impressive, but I think it’d be more so to see how they shot each of those games.

Maybe it’s the sort of thing that volunteers could take for the final day. All you need is 1 person per table. I wouldn’t mind sitting in for scientific advancement for an hour or two if I wasn’t playing, but I probably care to look at such details more than the average person.

You are a 93% shooter? You either hit 9 of ten or ten of ten shots every game? How do you lose at WSOBP, or is this on some shorter table?

tpfeliz

You are a 93% shooter? You either hit 9 of ten or ten of ten shots every game? How do you lose at WSOBP, or is this on some shorter table?

dude mehoolio,

peter is being sarcastic… his wife is waaaaay better than him anyways…

wianek

his parntner shoots 0%…

peter is obviously joking, but i do believe he shoots around 60%, which is pretty awesome.

prusch

Well 93% is an average… I haven’t missed since ’97, but there were some lean years from my early days that are bringing down that %.

dwissbrun2

I agree with peter.

Also I want to add that its useless to note how many cups more you hit than your partner (in particular with the WSOBP rules)

i definitely agree with both of you. knowing your shot percentage is awesome information to know. and if somebody would keep track of mine then i’d be very interested to see it. i just think that doing it myself will screw up my flow.

as for what you said above sean, i wouldn’t agree that it’s useless. i mean you can basically gage how you’re doing when you know how many cups you hit. i know that my partner & i hit the same number of cups on average – neither is better over the course of many games played. so if i know that in one game i hit 3 cups & he hit 7 then i need to step up my game or we’re going to lose sooner or later.

at the same time, for a while i was convinced my partner was better than me. after tracking those hits in league i came to realize that we shoot equally – so it actually helped me stop beating myself up for loses at times – cause i realized that in the grand scheme of things we’re a team. also then, when i carry the team it gives me a boost.

so the info isn’t totally useless. except it may cause a little blame gaming at the end of the wsobp :D

Tracking stats at the world series would be pretty sweet. I would not mind helping out with that at all as I imagine many others wouldn’t as well.

In terms of individual games and just having a good time, some friends of mine came up with a pretty simple way of keeping track how many individual shots each player makes. What happens is if you make a shot, the cup is pulled and put on the person side (right or left) of whoever made the shot. So at the end of the game if the person standing on the right side made 7 shots then the other side should have 7 cups on that players side.

Im almost certain I made that more complicated than it actually is, but if you somehow find some logic in there try it out.

wianek

i agree with peter and foster that tracking the number of cups you hit without tracking attempt is rather useless. for example, you can make 6 cups by taking 20 shots, 10 shots, or 6 shots – that’s a big difference.

dwiss, i agree that tracking cups made can be a good barometer of how you stack up against your partner, but not unders WS rules since 1 player could potentially take anywhere from 3-5 more shots in a single game do to rollbacks.

btw, foster, when do you want to get that webcam game going? my email is on that other thread, so hit me up sometime.

sfoster

as for what you said above sean, i wouldn’t agree that it’s useless. i mean you can basically gage how you’re doing when you know how many cups you hit. i know that my partner & i hit the same number of cups on average – neither is better over the course of many games played. so if i know that in one game i hit 3 cups & he hit 7 then i need to step up my game or we’re going to lose sooner or later.

I think you missed my point.
    You could only hit 3 cups but have shot at 100% with ws rules.

Because one partner gets that 3rd ball, it’s only 1 back

johaun

here’s my 2 cents: i dont think keeping a personal tally of hits or misses is such a huge deal as people are making it out to be (in terms of being a distraction, burden, etc.) I mean, c’mon, when you make a cup or miss a cup, you’re already accepting the fact that you either made it or missed it. so, it’s your shot, you line it up and you make it–you’re already like "hell yeah!" in your head, so now go mark it as a hit. likewise, if you miss: "fuck!" now go mark up your miss. no matter if it’s an extra effort of pushing a friggin button or marking a check mark, you’re already keeping a mental tally no matter how you cut it.

dwissbrun2

I think you missed my point.
    You could only hit 3 cups but have shot at 100% with ws rules.

Because one partner gets that 3rd ball, it’s only 1 back

no, i definitely got it, and i agree with you that it’s a fuzzy way to track how you’re doing. cause you’re right, i actually let my partner decide who’s going to shoot, so he ends up shooting more shots in a game than me.

i was basically trying to come up with a way of tracking something, without it becoming a distraction from the game.

the idea of having participants who aren’t playing (2/3rd’s of the field each round) isn’t a bad idea. you only need 1 person per table. there would have to be a bunch of volunteers for this. i must say though – as much as i love the wsobp i wouldn’t volunteer – i’ve got my own agenda during the hour between games = drink, socialize, eat, practice, watch other games, gamble, & drink again

but if people are willing to do it, then i have no problem having someone hover over our table to track our stats

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

20% Off Spring Sale On Entire Store. Free Shipping Over $100.

Facebook