(888) 445-PONG(7664)
Define your top bar navigation in Apperance > Menus

Why no elbows rule for WSOBP?

Home Page – Flat Forums Rules Debates Why no elbows rule for WSOBP?

This topic contains 73 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  cjmcka 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

I’m sure more than 80 percent of players have played with the elbows rule in the past (a player is not allowed to shoot the ball with his/her elbow crossing the line at the end of the table), so why isn’t this rule enacted for the WSOBP tournaments. I mean
    1. It is unfair to the people who have shorter arms than the taller and longer armed players and 2. It is considerably much less skill to make the cup (hence the 10 for 12 shooting in the championship game this year).

I don’t see why that is not the universal rule to keep the elbow rule in effect for the WSOBP tournaments. It would encourage the same distance of shooting for every single player who plays the game. I also don’t see why any players would have a problem with this rule either, because the best players should want to show that they are still the best players if everyone shoots from the same distance. Any thoughts????

slowsen

they don’t have the elbow rule because they hate you

skinny

Please read the explanation here:

http://www.bpong.com/vault/beer-pong-faq

In addition, this topic has been discussed literally hundreds of times on here. Almost everyone changes their opinions on leaning after playing in an actual tournament. You will virtually never find an ‘elbow rule’ at a legitimate tournament.

wianek

I’m sure more than 80 percent of players have played with the elbows rule in the past (a player is not allowed to shoot the ball with his/her elbow crossing the line at the end of the table), so why isn’t this rule enacted for the WSOBP tournaments. I mean
    1. It is unfair to the people who have shorter arms than the taller and longer armed players and 2. It is considerably much less skill to make the cup (hence the 10 for 12 shooting in the championship game this year).

I don’t see why that is not the universal rule to keep the elbow rule in effect for the WSOBP tournaments. It would encourage the same distance of shooting for every single player who plays the game. I also don’t see why any players would have a problem with this rule either, because the best players should want to show that they are still the best players if everyone shoots from the same distance. Any thoughts????

how about you actually try to enforce it next year. good luck.

also i think NBA players should be limited to 6’2". it’s just not fair if someone is taller.

William Gaines
    Keymaster

Oh shit . . .

GSP

i used to think the same way about there not being an elbow rule, but i too learned to embrace it….not to mention, i started playing beer pong on 5-6ft dinner tables witht he elbow rule, like most…..so a lean on an 8ft table evens out.

however, there was this one league or tournament i saw online where they put a piece of tape a few inches behind the table and ur feet cant cross the line (like a foul line in basketball)….never actually played that way and i have no problem with the current way, but a beer pong foul line might not be a bad idea.

skinny

however, there was this one league or tournament i saw online where they put a piece of tape a few inches behind the table and ur feet cant cross the line (like a foul line in basketball)….never actually played that way and i have no problem with the current way, but a beer pong foul line might not be a bad idea.

this has been tried, discussed on here, and roundly rejected by the community.

dub

Here we fuckin’ go again.

Smashing Time shot 10-12 because they’re really fucking good. Not because there’s no elbow rule.

Elbow rule isn’t enforceable in a tourney of this size and frankly, it’s dumb anyway.

There is a line, it is the end of the 8′ table.

This is a leg rule, which is much more challenging than an elbow rule.

The leg rule says your leg must not be on top of the table, i.e., you cannot climb onto the table to shoot. You must stand behind the line, which is the end of the table. You can touch the line, but you cannot climb over it or onto it. There is your line.

Or, just pretend you are playing on a 6 foot table with your elbow rule, and it is the same thing.

And then there’s the old classic retort: if it is so easy, you are free to sign up and take the $50,000 grand prize yourself. No one is stopping you.

As a side, do people really think they are going to raise this point and it’s going to be some revolutionary idea that no one thought of 5 years later?

kobe24

Papelbon sucks.

prusch

You will virtually never find an ‘elbow rule’ at a legitimate tournament.

Better yet – you will never play in an ‘elbow-rule’ tournament where there aren’t tons of arguments or even fights about someone’s elbow crossing. I’ve never understood how someone from across the table could so easily spot someone’s elbow crossing an imaginary line.

rho22

^^^^^ frat boy that plays in his basement or garage at a friends house and never been in a tournament with over 5 teams….like state before…..find a satelite and play and get to vegas if you think it is so easy….you will be another one of those 4-7 teams…..trust me…..wow i hate this topic!

j0schm03

As someone mentioned there are tourneys in NY that play with a tape line behind the table. BUT they play on 7.5 foot tables… So it looks good but really it’s pretty much the same thing.

Skinny posted the link to check out. Read through that and you will find every answer to the elbow rule you could imagine…or not imagine…

j0schm03

Oh and those same teams that did good in vegas also do well shooting from the 8.5′ line in NY. They made 10 out of 12 shots cause their good. People who have not yet seen any serious pong don’t understand the difference in caliber between your frat boy and serious pong player.

duncan

There is a line, it is the end of the 8′ table.

This is a leg rule, which is much more challenging than an elbow rule.

The leg rule says your leg must not be on top of the table, i.e., you cannot climb onto the table to shoot. You must stand behind the line, which is the end of the table. You can touch the line, but you cannot climb over it or onto it. There is your line.

Or, just pretend you are playing on a 6 foot table with your elbow rule, and it is the same thing.

And then there’s the old classic retort: if it is so easy, you are free to sign up and take the $50,000 grand prize yourself. No one is stopping you.

As a side, do people really think they are going to raise this point and it’s going to be some revolutionary idea that no one thought of 5 years later?

THANK YOU@!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Facebook